WD Announces 10K RPM XE 3.5-inch SAS Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because not every situation make sense to use an SSD in.

Data centers that do cloud storage for the general public for example would not benefit greatly from an SSD for a number of reasons:

1. Because everyone that's is accessing these drives is probably not using some insane Fiber Internet connection to upload/download there stuff, You would not see the speed benefit of the drive.

2. Cloud need storage capacity. An SSD achilles heel.

3. IT managers need hard core reliably. While I'm not saying the SSD are not reliable (I've had an Samsung 830 for over a year now), SSD just haven't been around long enough that all IT people can trust yet for their particular situation.

SSD have only became big in the past 4 to 5 years vs the HDD 30+ years (I know that SSD been around longer than that but nobody really herd to much about them till 2007/08 time frame).

About the only benefit a Data center would see right off the bat with an SSD would be the power bill.

As far as SSDs VS HDDs, gotta remember these HDDs are not consumer grade, they're meant to run 24/7 for years reliably. The SSDs that compete with these for MTBF are still pretty expensive for relatively small amounts of data.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

looking at a 240gb ssd on newegg that is enterprise quality that is at the 1$ per gb range, beating out the 300gb option on price performance by a large margin. the 900 gb... not so much

right here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178433

they run a crap ton of drives, and than see how long they run for before a failure happens,
its their way of saying how rare or expected a failure should be.

game junky

Distinguished
SAS and SCSI will always be a primary for SAN deployments - Issue at this point is that SAN manufacturers control the type of drive able to be deployed in their units because they put custom firmware on the drives. If they could increase shelf life on the consumer grade drives that have killer speed and reliability (a la the Samsung 840 Pros or Intel 520s) then consumers/businesses wouldn't be handcuffed to crazy SAS/SCSI prices. EMC - I am looking at you. Either decrease bloated configuration prices for drives or hire US customer service reps, I am not the only customer considering walking away from the table. You have excellent products, but you're becoming Apple-ish with your pricing structure.

torbendalum

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
At my work we only use disks with fibre channel interface, SAS solutions are not as reliable in big storage systems, and SSD's that are of that quality cost at least 10K $ each, so they are almost only used for caching in our setup. SSD's are miles away from being cost effective for anything but the most mission critical systems.

ikaz

Distinguished
alidan I checked out your link did you notice the SSD you link only had a 3 year warranty. For enterprise I wouldn't get anything with less than 5 years. Also really there was only one drive that worked out to about $1 per Gig and I have a feeling that model maybe retired from pny. If you look at all the SSD over 300G (at new egg in stock) they are all over $1k. You maybe able to find a deal from time to time but if your talking about data centers they need to be able to buy drives in bulk at "normal" prices not sales or close out deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.