News WD Announces SN850 PCIe 4 SSD, Dual-Drive Add-in Card, D50 Game Dock

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
and low queue depth performance -- the latter being the kind of workloads that games and most mainstream tasks entail
I have a feeling that, once next-gen games start to come, and DirectStorage is used in full, games will need high queue depth. Maybe not quite a smart move, but it's also just a guess.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
I have a feeling that, once next-gen games start to come, and DirectStorage is used in full, games will need high queue depth. Maybe not quite a smart move, but it's also just a guess.
I doubt it. Even after hammering most high-end SSDs with up to 8-10 large transfers at once, they rarely exceed a QD of 5-6 at most. The drives respond so fast that they stay well with a QD range of 0-4 under most circumstances, even for enthusiasts.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I doubt it. Even after hammering most high-end SSDs with up to 8-10 large transfers at once, they rarely exceed a QD of 5-6 at most. The drives respond so fast that they stay well with a QD range of 0-4 under most circumstances, even for enthusiasts.
But then you could load every asset of a game scene in parallel, including sound, textures, models etc. A game scene can use hundreds of textures alone, so that can potentially throw the queue depth to the limits of the drive. I believe that's what the PS5 and XBsX do, and PC games will soon do too.

TRENDING THREADS