WD black 1.5tb cloning 1tb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f12ostii

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I have my source drive as a 1tb and already cloned it to my new 1.5tb drive (same wd caviar black , same specs jus 500gb more space)..now i plan on using my 1.5 as my source since its newer but I only have 2 1tb drives(one as a monthly clone and the other for weekly backups) as backups..will it clone correctly if I need to since i thought cloning is only possible with identical size drives..
basically if I have a 1.5tb drive and a blank 1tb drive will i be able to clone it effectively.?

Solution
Cloning does NOT require that the two drives be the same size. The cloning tools I've used have menu systems that allow you to set the size of the Destination Drive's Partition, as long as it will be large enough to accept all the data coming from the Source drive.. So, as long as your Source contains less than about 930 GB od data (even if it is a 1.5 TB unit), you should be able to create a Partition of the full size of a 1 TB Destination unit (Windows will say its capacity is about 930 GB) and make you clone backup properly.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Cloning of a drive is dependent upon the size of the data being cloned because the software will generally resize the partitions as long as the source partition is smaller than the destination drive. (Per Symantec, Apricorn, Acronis)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Cloning does NOT require that the two drives be the same size. The cloning tools I've used have menu systems that allow you to set the size of the Destination Drive's Partition, as long as it will be large enough to accept all the data coming from the Source drive.. So, as long as your Source contains less than about 930 GB od data (even if it is a 1.5 TB unit), you should be able to create a Partition of the full size of a 1 TB Destination unit (Windows will say its capacity is about 930 GB) and make you clone backup properly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.