WD Black 1 TB HDD Won't show up in bios.

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015
So, yesterday I finally got the rest of my parts to build my first PC. It took me about 5 or 6 hours but I got it done. But I noticed that in Bios my WD Black Hard Drive wasn't showing up for storage. On Board Explorer it shows the SATA slot being used and it reads it as a WD hard drive but I can't select it for storage or anything.

I also put my ear the the HDD while it was plugged in and I heard no spinning or anything, almost like it wasn't getting power. I've swapped power and sata slots but nothings changed. Help?

Strange you should hear the drive platter start to spin as soon as power is fed to the hard drive.
It can mean the circuit board on the underside of the drive is shot in some way.

Try setting your Sata interface mode to Ahci mode if you have not already in the bios.
You are using the Sata data cable with the Sata power connector from the power supply.

The drive should also register in the bios even if it is not spinning as the information on the drives capacity ect is read from that control board.

If you can, and have another based sata hard drive at hand test it connected to one of your Sata ports on the board.
See if the drive spins up and the bios reads it`s capacity, that will confirm that the WD drive is DOA.

That`s about all you can do to confirm it, or try the WD in another system.

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015

Sadly I don't have another PC to test the HDD in but I do have a WD Blue that I plugged in the same slot, sata and power supply and it showed up. I could use it for storage and anything.

I'm not sure if I have Ahci set, I'll go do that.

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015

Well, sadly I had to go to work before I could set it to achi and test it. But on the good side I put my ear up to the drive and heard it power on and spin. Still didnt see it in storage though.

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015

Sorry for not replying, I figured out the problem. All I had to do was go into computer management and create a new simple volume for the HDD. I followed this video from NCIX Tech Tips to show me how.