[SOLVED] WD Black 1TB HDD Reallocated Sector Count Below Threshold After CPU Upgrade

Jul 28, 2021
Yesterday I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X, and after much scuffle to get the BIOS updated, I received a message from American Megatrends saying that one of my HDDs has an imminent failure with S.M.A.R.T.

I installed the Wester Digital LifeGuard Diagnostics to find out what exactly the issue was with the hard drive, to find that the Reallocated Sector Count had a value of 41, threshold of 140 and a worst of 41, but everything else was in the green. My other HDD is identical and the same age, but has a Sector Count value of 200, threshold of 140 and a worst of 200.

I then ran DskChk on the drive, returning no errors, leading me to believe that the drive has Soft Bad Sectors. But I do find the timing of this extremely coincidental with the CPU upgrade.

Will a reformat of the drive do anything beneficial?

I've already gone and backed up the important data onto other drives, before I get chewed off about that one :D

Solution
If you use a proper SMART tool, ie one that shows the raw values, you will probably see in excess of 1000 reallocated sectors. I would retire that drive.
Does CrystalDiskInfo show the drive in yellow status due to reallocated sectors? (If so, and especially since it is lagging out during some reads or writes, you can try reformatting it to newly distribute your files in it's existing reallocated state, and, if the number does not increase, don't rely on it for anything important, but, you can see if the bad sector count increases again; if the reading issues/lagouts reading from the drive persist, it is likely on borrowed time)

Jul 28, 2021
Does CrystalDiskInfo show the drive in yellow status due to reallocated sectors? (If so, and especially since it is lagging out during some reads or writes, you can try reformatting it to newly distribute your files in it's existing reallocated state, and, if the number does not increase, don't rely on it for anything important, but, you can see if the bad sector count increases again; if the reading issues/lagouts reading from the drive persist, it is likely on borrowed time)

CrystalDiskInfo says that the drive has 1256 reallocated sectors