[SOLVED] WD Black 2TB Detected By BIOS, But Not By Windows

Nov 23, 2018
After using this hard drive for about a year, it suddenly dissapeared on me
My troubleshooting steps:
-The drive shows up in my BIOS.
-The drive does not get detected by: Windows Explorer, Device Manager, Disk Manager, Diskpart, EasyUS.
-The drive does get detected by intels SSD toolbox somehow?
-The drive does get detected when I connected it to another computer and i can access it without any problem.

Further information:
I used the drive in combination with Intel Optane acceleration.
So the drive uses the GPT file system.

Help would be appreciated :)

Solution
Ok, I decided to make sure everything was backed up, and broke the RAID 0 array in the Intel RST program, and that fixed it.
It didn't even delete the data that was on the drive! The drive showed up immediately after i broke the array.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
What version of Windows is running on this PC? What are the specs?

Without further details known, there are still a couple more general steps to suggest:

- try the drive in a different SATA port
- reset the SATA driver by uninstalling it and re-installing via a Windows reboot (the SATA driver under IDE/ATAPI controllers, not any individual drives)

Nov 23, 2018
Thank you for your reply!

I have tried a different SATA port and i have switched the SATA cable with a known good one.
My OS build is Windows 10 1803.

System specs are:
i5-8600K
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 3
Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti FE
Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz 2x8 GB
Boot drive: Samsung 850 PRO 500 GB
Secondary HD: WD Black (2010) 2TB
Intel Optane 16 GB

OK. Those specs are good and high end but also not particularly unusual aside from the inclusion of Optane memory. Of course the fact the drive works on other PCs makes that seem moot. This still sounds a lot like an odd driver conflict to me. It may be worth re-installing the SATA driver as described above.

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018

No idea how the Optane card works but how about removing that as well?

Nov 23, 2018

Does anybody have a guide for doing that? Because i have no experience with that, i don't want to lose access to my bootdrive ;)

@misar, i'll try that tomorrow, see if that changes anything.

In the device manager, you'll see a section with the heading "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers." Right-click the devices in this section and select uninstall. Then reboot Windows. Windows will automatically re-install the driver on the reboot but the refreshed driver may now detect that hdd.

Nov 23, 2018
Neither removing the Optane drive nor resetting the Sata driver fixed it...
Any other ideas? Thanks for the suggestions so far!

If it helps, Crystal Disk Info also detects the drive...

Nov 23, 2018

I tried that but that didn't fix it.
I've reïnstalled windows, but that didn't fix it either...

Edit: I might have found the problem, Intel RST says that the drive is in a RAID 0 array, is there a way to get the drive out of the array without losing the data? I have backed up everything that is on the drive, but there is about 500 GB of games on it, redownloading that is going to take some time... So if it is possible to get it back without losing the data that would be great!
screenshot1.png

Nov 23, 2018
Ok, I decided to make sure everything was backed up, and broke the RAID 0 array in the Intel RST program, and that fixed it.
It didn't even delete the data that was on the drive! The drive showed up immediately after i broke the array.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Solution