[SOLVED] WD Black 4TB vs WD Gold 4TB Raid 1/1+0

Josiah-ccc

Commendable
Mar 17, 2017
Hey Guys. Long story short. I had a domain and file server that got rebuilt and during that I had some power issues and my current HGST 4TB drives used in a software mirror died.

I am working on starting from scratch and setting it all up again. Im trying to decide what drives I should go with for my raid/file server

Setup:
i7-3770
32GB DDR3
Samsung 860 250GB ssd for OS server 2016 data center used as hyper-v host with virtual machines on separate partition of the ssd for domain controller and file server and some other VMs
thermaltake 750w smart pro power supply

My end goal would be to have two raid 1 of 4tb drives for storage and network shares for games/movies/ programs and backups/ plex server and game servers.

Currently I will be using disk management to mirror the drives until I get an actual raid card.
Should I go with WD Black 4TB or WD Gold 4TB for my storage drives in my server. Both drives are 7200RPM 256mb cashe and limited 5 year warranty. Also would it make more sense to go with 6TB vs 4TB. Currently 4TB is sufficient but I want to plan ahead. Black seams to be more rated for consumer grade or home use high end desktops and gold is for more business enterprise class drives. Gold seams to make more sense for my use case as a 24/7 mirror file server but I wanted a second or third opinion

thank you for your advice.:)

Solution
Currently I will be using disk management to mirror the drives until I get an actual raid card.
You will have to wipeout anything on the disks when you change to a RAID card. Just making sure you understand that. If you are going to get a RAID card then wait until you have it to build the volumes.