[SOLVED] WD Black 7200 rpm HDD producing excessive vibration. Should I replace it?

Tic.Tac.

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Hello!
I am planning to replace my HDD, which is currently WD Black 2TB model with 7200 rpm. The problem with the disk is, that it vibrates and causes deep noise inside my case as a result. The noise it produces is just unacceptable for me since I haven't heard any disk produce such a noise yet.

I compared the produced vibration with an older WD blue 5400 rpm drive by placing them both on a desk surface. The difference between them is more than obvious. The WD Black actually makes the whole desk vibrate, which can be felt with a hand placed on its surface. On the other hand WD blue does not produce any vibration at all. Also holding both disks in a hand while spinning shows that the difference in vibration is huge.

I think that even though my WD Black is a 7200 rpm drive, it should not produce so much vibration compared to a 5400 rpm WD Blue.

What do you guys think? How big should the difference in vibration ane noise between these two drives be? Is it normal for a 7200 rpm drive to produce so much vibration. Should I replace the drive with an 5400 rpm one?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Hello!
I am planning to replace my HDD, which is currently WD Black 2TB model with 7200 rpm. The problem with the disk is, that it vibrates and causes deep noise inside my case as a result. The noise it produces is just unacceptable for me since I haven't heard any disk produce such a noise yet.

I compared the produced vibration with an older WD blue 5400 rpm drive by placing them both on a desk surface. The difference between them is more than obvious. The WD Black actually makes the whole desk vibrate, which can be felt with a hand placed on its surface. On the other hand WD blue does not produce any vibration at all. Also holding both disks in a hand while spinning shows that the difference in vibration is huge.

I think that...
Hello!

I think that even though my WD Black is a 7200 rpm drive, it should not produce so much vibration compared to a 5400 rpm WD Blue.

What do you guys think? How big should the difference in vibration ane noise between these two drives be? Is it normal for a 7200 rpm drive to produce so much vibration. Should I replace the drive with an 5400 rpm one?

Thank you in advance!
If the difference in vibration is huge....I don't think this is normal.
I would replace it as I would be concerned with it failing.

Reactions: Tic.Tac.
Solution