[SOLVED] Wd black 750 4th Gen with strix x570 plus

Feb 12, 2022
Hey! My motherboard that I just recently installed has 2 m.2 4x 4th Gen slots. I only have a 4th Gen x1 1tb wd nvme drive...

I'm new to the m.2 slot world and didn't realize it was going to be so finicky and I wish I did my research before jumping on the bandwagon.. Anyways, on with the problem! After about 30 mins of gaming my computer stutters, every other second and makes playing any game impossible... I recently went into my bios and changed one of its m.2 settings from short to extended.. No clue what it means it was just out of desperation to fix the stuttering, the stuttering went away from every second to every 30 minutes my computer lags about 3 frames and its playable again. So it's much prefered.
After leaving my computer on overnight I tried using it in the morning and nothing would open, like it wasn't reading the drive at all anymore, everything I did was unresponsive except for being able to reboot.. Which fixed the issue entirely.

So after that rant, I was wondering if a motherboard says it supports m.2 gen4 x4 does it mean it won't support a drive that is gen 4 but not 4x?

Should I maybe just install my ssd and write off m.2 drives all together, I'm noticing a lot of people are having issues with them...

I'd just like to be able to play a game and enjoy it at this point...

Just upgraded my computer

Asus tuf x570 plus
Amd ryzen 5600x
Geforce 3600ti
32 gigs of DDR 3200 ram
650 watt psu
Wd black 750 nvme m.2 1tb

Hey! My motherboard that I just recently installed has 2 m.2 4x 4th Gen slots. I only have a 4th Gen x1 1tb wd nvme drive...

I'm new to the m.2 slot world and didn't realize it was going to be so finicky and I wish I did my research before jumping on the bandwagon.. Anyways, on with the problem! After about 30 mins of gaming my computer stutters, every other second and makes playing any game impossible... I recently went into my bios and changed one of its m.2 settings from short to extended.. No clue what it means it was just out of desperation to fix the stuttering, the stuttering went away from every second to every 30 minutes my computer lags about 3 frames and its playable again. So it's much prefered.
After leaving my computer on overnight I tried using it in the morning and nothing would open, like it wasn't reading the drive at all anymore, everything I did was unresponsive except for being able to reboot.. Which fixed the issue entirely.

So after that rant, I was wondering if a motherboard says it supports m.2 gen4 x4 does it mean it won't support a drive that is gen 4 but not 4x?

Should I maybe just install my ssd and write off m.2 drives all together, I'm noticing a lot of people are having issues with them...

I'd just like to be able to play a game and enjoy it at this point...

Just upgraded my computer

Asus tuf x570 plus
Amd ryzen 5600x
Geforce 3600ti
32 gigs of DDR 3200 ram
650 watt psu
Wd black 750 nvme m.2 1tb
I doubt you have a wd black that is x1.
I doubt you have a 750 that is gen 4.

Feb 12, 2022
I doubt you have a wd black that is x1.
I doubt you have a 750 that is gen 4.
It's a wd 750 black Gen 4 that I got from Newegg, I'm talking about that 1 nvme drive, you must have misunderstood me thinking I was talking about 2 different drives.. I assume it's 1x because it doesn't say it's 4x just says it's Gen 4 on the box.

Ill double check that it's Gen 4 when I get home, but I'm 99% confident I read that on the box so I don't know what to tell you... If it's Gen 3 it would certainly explain things.