Question WD Black 850X - very slow read/write speeds ?

Jan 15, 2023
I just got this WD 850X SSD and put it into my computer after cloning it.
My old Samsung 500gb 860 was faster through Crystal Mark than this new 2TB drive.
I am getting around 1700 read and write, compared to about twice that for the Samsung SSD.
I have updated most everything. its currently residing in the M.21_1 slot for my Asus ROG Maximus Hero XIII Mobo.
I do have a PCI card in there to add to my USB inputs, which only has 1 thing (my mouse) plugged into it.

The SSD from the WD software is saying that the capability is 4 Lanes, and the connection is 2 Lanes. I didnt see anything in my BIOS to change that at all. To make both 4 Lanes.

Not sure what is going on with this, since the Samsung was much faster than this.

Thanks for any help or insight on this.

Lutfij

Titan
I have updated most everything. its currently residing in the M.21_1 slot for my Asus ROG Maximus Hero XIII Mobo.
Can you please state what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time?

As for your platform, did you check and see if the latter SSD is pending any firmware updates?

I just got this WD 850X SSD and put it into my computer after cloning it.
My old Samsung 500gb 860 was faster through Crystal Mark than this new 2TB drive.
I am getting around 1700 read and write, compared to about twice that for the Samsung SSD.
I do have a PCI card in there to add to my USB inputs, which only has 1 thing (my mouse) plugged into it.

The SSD from the WD software is saying that the capability is 4 Lanes, and the connection is 2 Lanes. I didnt see anything in my BIOS to change that at all. To make both 4 Lanes.

Not sure what is going on with this, since the Samsung was much faster than this.

Thanks for any help or insight on this.
Try reseating the m.2 in the slot.

Try a different m.2 slot.

See if either makes a diff.

Jan 15, 2023
Yeah, I downloaded the WD software as soon as it booted up and checked to make sure and it is up to date.

Just saw its only running on 2 channels for the Connection

USAFRet

Titan
A SATA III Samsung 860 cannot do 'twice that' of the posted WD 850X (NVMe) results.

The only way you might see 'faster' is if you have RAPID mode enabled for the 860. Which is mostly just reading your RAM speed, not the drive.

Here are the CDM numbers from my 2x 860 EVOs.
Very typical of SATA III drives.
wR8Skqa.jpg

berlstone

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
My SN 850X 1TB configured as system drive is performing way below the expectation with a pathetic read speed of 1750 MBPS where it is supposed to perform near 7000 MB/ps.

CrystalDiskMark_20230621010542_SN850X

I have windows 11 with 32GB of RAM running on ASUS Z270E MB with i7 7th Gen.

The WD dashboard software has already installed the latest firmware for the SSD.

Any help / guidance on the fix is appreciated

USAFRet

Titan
My SN 850X 1TB configured as system drive is performing way below the expectation with a pathetic read speed of 1750 MBPS where it is supposed to perform near 7000 MB/ps.

CrystalDiskMark_20230621010542_SN850X

I have windows 11 with 32GB of RAM running on ASUS Z270E MB with i7 7th Gen.

The WD dashboard software has already installed the latest firmware for the SSD.

Any help / guidance on the fix is appreciated
Your SSD is PCIe 4.0 x4.
Your motherboard ports, OTOH, are only PCIe 3.0 x4.

Ergo, your performance can only be 3.0 at best.
Granted, that 17xx you see is slow by 3.0 standards. But you will never see that 7,000 number on that motherboard.

Reactions: DJMCM

TRENDING THREADS