Jan 28, 2020
A year ago I installed a WD BLACK 250GB NVMe SSD. My aim was to clone my OS from an older hard drive and use that hard drive to store games. I install the drive and partition it in windows and everything is okay. I am able to store files and programs on it, all seems well. My first red flag came when installing the Western Digital SSD Dashboard program. I install it but when I open it, it crashes instantly. Sometimes it does open but it cannot detect the drive. I've reinstalled it many times but it still didnt work. Anyway, due to issues with sector sizes I wasn't able to clone the drive so I just used it to store games.

Skip to a year later I decide to download a fresh install of windows onto the NVMe SSD as I feel I'll get more bang for the buck this way. I install windows fine but when I try and boot from SSD ( which at this point does show up as an option to boot from ) it skips bypasses it and goes straight to the USB and opens with the interface for installing Windows 10. Whenever I try and boot from it directly by overiding the boot queue, it gives an error saying cannot find OS or this found nothing to boot from.

I do research online and come accross a forum thread which seems to have the same issue. The solution was that there needed to be no other drives connected to the motherboard, the setup needs to complete due to the EFI Boot Sector not being created, so it said to disable safe boot and turn off CSM and then to reboot the PC. ( I am using Asus' BIOS ). I do this and what should happen is the NVMe Drive appears in the boot order as part of Windows Boot Manager. However, not only was that not the case but the NVMe drive doesn't show up as a bootable drive at all. I also notice that the BIOS registers the m.2 slot as empty. I change the settings and turn CSM back on. The NVMe drive is now registered as a bootable option ( not as a part of Windows Boot Manager ), but it still remains unbootable and the BIOS still cannot detect a drive in the m.2 slot. I updated my BIOS and still nothing changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
Ram: 2x4GB Crucial 2133Hz and 2x4GB Kingston 2133Hz ( Bought at seperate times due to lack of cash originally, seem to be working well, each brand in dual channel with themselves )
GPU: NVIDIA 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair CX600

Jan 28, 2020
I'm getting email alerts about replies but can't seem to see them actually on the thread. Maybe try and send a PM if you have a solution? I can't see any replies on the thread despite me getting alerts about them.