WD Black or SSD

drjackool

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Hi
I already have a 500GB WD Blue (16MB catch, 7200RPM) HDD and want to upgrade, But witch is better for me: a 128GB SSD or a 1TB WD Black HDD? because they have approximately same price.

I think SSD lifetime is more less than HDD, it is correct?

and if Your answer is SSD witch brand and model? (example Samsung EVO, Corsair)

CPU: i5-3570K
MB: GA-Z77-D3H
VGA: GTX970G1-Gaming
RAM: 8GB Vengeance 2133
PSU: HX850i

Solution
A SSD will make your whole system appear snappy and responsive, so I highly recommend one. Upgrading from WD Blue to Black won't be very noticeable. As for which one, well, even the slowest SSD is still worlds faster than the WD Black. Crucial and Samsung may be the top dogs, but Kingston, AData, and Mushkin all make a nice cheap SSD. You can find a decent 250GB SSD for about $70, and that's what I would recommend. Just be sure that only pertinent applications are on the SSD and keep your files and documents on the WD Blue drive. You'll want to move your My Docs and My Music folders off the SSD.
It really depends on what you need.

The Western Digital Black is going to be faster than other hard drives but not as much as an ssd. It will give you much more space.

On the other hand, an SSD is going to give you the most speed and no noise.

Endurance is really a moot point. SSDs will last around 6 years and the Western Digital Black series is the most reliable consumer HDD.

The SSD, no doubt about it. Use that for your OS and essential programs, and the 500GB for storage. If you can spend an extra $35 or so, getting a 240-250GB solid state drive will be REALLY worth it so you can keep more of your most frequently used stuff on it.

Samsung EVO 850 seems to be a favorite there; however, I'd also say Crucial MX100 is the best if you want to spend slightly less money.

The difference between SSDs is not a whole lot ... the difference between having an SSD and not having an SSD is HUGE.

A SSD will make your whole system appear snappy and responsive, so I highly recommend one. Upgrading from WD Blue to Black won't be very noticeable. As for which one, well, even the slowest SSD is still worlds faster than the WD Black. Crucial and Samsung may be the top dogs, but Kingston, AData, and Mushkin all make a nice cheap SSD. You can find a decent 250GB SSD for about $70, and that's what I would recommend. Just be sure that only pertinent applications are on the SSD and keep your files and documents on the WD Blue drive. You'll want to move your My Docs and My Music folders off the SSD.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The first question you need to ask yourself is: what do you expect to get out of upgrading to an SSD - what do you want to put on it and why?

For my PC, I use plain old HDDs (1TB WD Blue, 1TB WD Black, 500GB Seagate 7200.11) backed by 32GB of system RAM to cache all my frequently used stuff. Starting applications for the first time after rebooting takes a while but once everything is loaded, there is hardly any further HDD activity until the next time I restart my PC and I restart my PC maybe once every other month for drivers and Windows updates, so waiting a minute for my PC to finish booting once every other month does not bother me.