Question WD Black SN770 vs WD SN850X

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

Deciding between two NVME SSD's. Could use some advice if the SN770 is good enough for the purpose of my upcoming new PC. Parts list here (in progress) https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/product...tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t3x0e

I will mainly be gaming on this pc at 1080p right now and 1440p in the future (idk if this matters). Besides gaming I do work quite alot in Excel and I like to have some streams open on my second monitor when gaming. Do I need the SN850X or will the SN770 do just fine?

Thanks in advance

Solution
"Worth it" to you has no relationship to "worth it" to anyone else. It's extremely personal.

Ditto for "significant enough".

Benchmarks will lead you to believe you are a fool to not always buy the "best". Maybe you are susceptible to that suggestion. I don't know.

Isn't 5000 of something better than 4000?

Maybe you don't tend to second-guess yourself. Maybe your regrets will start 5 seconds after you poke "buy now" at Amazon. I don't know.

Maybe 50 or 100 dollars or Euros means little to you. I don't know.

You want to be "happy" with your choice and no one else can know what would ultimately leave you "unhappy". What might lead you to think you made the WRONG choice?

Benchmarks? Something an anonymous someone says on a forum...

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
How concerned are you about benchmarks or buyer's remorse?

I use the SN770. Can't tell the difference between it and my previous SSD. Didn't expect to.
I mean will I even notice the difference? Is it significant enough to be able to say it is "worth" the extra money. Also how does the 850NX compare to the 980 pro?

"Worth it" to you has no relationship to "worth it" to anyone else. It's extremely personal.

Benchmarks will lead you to believe you are a fool to not always buy the "best". Maybe you are susceptible to that suggestion. I don't know.

Maybe you don't tend to second-guess yourself. Maybe your regrets will start 5 seconds after you poke "buy now" at Amazon. I don't know.

You want to be "happy" with your choice and no one else can know what would ultimately leave you "unhappy". What might lead you to think you made the WRONG choice?

Benchmarks? Something an anonymous someone says on a forum after you commit to this choice or that choice?

For many use cases, you couldn't tell the real world difference between any two SSDs. But you might still have second thoughts....

On and on and on, round and round. Uncertainty and doubt. It's personal to you.

Good luck.

Reactions: Thomaszz
Solution

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017

Benchmarks? Something an anonymous someone says on a forum after you commit to this choice or that choice?

For many use cases, you couldn't tell the real world difference between any two SSDs. But you might still have second thoughts....

On and on and on, round and round. Uncertainty and doubt. It's personal to you.

Good luck.
Well written I must say haha

USAFRet

Titan
In my system, I have 6x SSD, all 1TB each.

Samsung 980 Pro
Intel 660p (slow, by PCIe 3.0 standards)
4x SATA III SSD

In normal daily use, it is difficult to tell the difference between them.

When we made the jump from HDD to SSD, huge difference.
Between the various flavors of SSD? Not so much.

Reactions: smalltech

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
personally, between DRAMless PCIE4 vs DRAM cached PCIE3, I will take the latter. I consider not having DRAM cache as 15% lost capacity.
Between DRAM cached PCIE4 vs DRAM cached PCIE3, I still prefer the latter because of the power consumption and heat. I already feel speed-saturated with the PCIE3 speed.
But that's just me...

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I have used 980 PRO, Sabrents rockets, SN850's and cheap silcon powers etc.

Day to day use you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, unless you really look at file transfers that are large between drives (like moving 1TB of photos around, which is not normally a day to day to thing).

YMMV

Reactions: mjonis

TRENDING THREADS