Review WD Black SN850X SSD Review: Back in Black

tommo1982

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
The Black series is a bit too expensive for me. I find the Blue one good value for the money, though. The NVMe version has reasonable price tag and performance and would be me first choice. I like WD's own controlers. It adds some flavour to the market.
I generally prefer WD since the HDD time, so I might be somewhat biased 😊

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
The pricing is off for this product. You can regularly find the SK Hynix Platinum 1 and 2tb for below MSRP. The 2TB will go for $207 and is a better product overall. I don't see the point for WD to price this at this level. I wouldn't even consider this drive.

Crucial P5P and Samsung 980 Pro (after the discounts) are great value drives. That is what I can conclude from this.

This WD drive is too expensive for what it offers. Maybe when it drops to a similar price range of the P5P and 980Pro, it'll be a good buy. Not before. Well, for "value" seekers. Performance seekers are better off waiting for PCIe5 drives anyway.

Regards.

Reactions: Makaveli

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
When DirectStorage gets off the ground even the slower NVMe SSD's will be unshackled by Windows and be screamers in gaming. So as the writer noted, this is kind of an apple and oranges performance comparison today, at least for gamers.

listless

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2013
I just bought an SN850X 1TB for $130 USD. Not a bad price, AFAIC. No issues. The WD Dashboard software made updating the firmware super easy, as opposed to the hour+ of struggle I suffered through trying to get the firmware on my Seagate FireCuda 520 updated with a mega-finicky command line utility and confusing documentation (oh -- and the firmware function in the SeaTools SSD GUI utility simply doesn't work at all).

Sep 11, 2022
When DirectStorage gets off the ground even the slower NVMe SSD's will be unshackled by Windows and be screamers in gaming. So as the writer noted, this is kind of an apple and oranges performance comparison today, at least for gamers.
DirectStorage sure sounds as that there will be some improvement, albeit assuming you aren't running GPU at full load already, as DirectStorage apparently works mainly at the premise of taking some workload from the CPU and giving it to the GPU, such as to decompress files that get loaded in when walking to a new area in an open-world game. And for current-gen gaming, even slower NVMe SSDs sure are plenty fast.

On the other hand, a modern CPU is usually faster than a SSD though. And when you have an application which comes with reading/writing a lot of data quickly, that cheap relatively slow PCIe 3.0 SSD may not be fast enough to keep up with all that data as fast as the CPU and GPU could handle.

This of course these days not much an issue. But as far as I am concerned, when I soon go for a modern CPU and then also GPU, saving a few bucks on the SSD which then could be a bottleneck at times, such doesn't seem worth it.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Just picked up the 2TB SN850X for $169 on Black Friday. Sale is still available. Item is backordered until mid-December. Definitely a steal considering the Samsung 990 Pro 2TB is currently $289 (also on sale).

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I just bought an SN850X 1TB for $130 USD. Not a bad price, AFAIC. No issues. The WD Dashboard software made updating the firmware super easy, as opposed to the hour+ of struggle I suffered through trying to get the firmware on my Seagate FireCuda 520 updated with a mega-finicky command line utility and confusing documentation (oh -- and the firmware function in the SeaTools SSD GUI utility simply doesn't work at all).
You can get the SN850X 2TB version for just $169 on Amazon ;-)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS