WD Black2 Dual drive

Jack_166

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Hello,

I recently purchased the WD Black2 dual drive for my Asus q550lf laptop. I bought it used, and once I got it I hooked it up via usb to sata connection, and began the process of cloning my current hardrive to the dual drive. I found that once I hooked it up it didn't show the 120 GB SSD (Like it should) It showed it as a merged 1043 GB. I created a new volume, making it 100 GB, and proceeded to clone with the free software provided. I ran into an issue with that, as once I got to the final part of the clone and it asked to restart my laptop it, and I clicked restart it appeared to do nothing once my Computer was back up and running. I then thought maybe I should just physically install it, and put a windows installer on a flash drive using their media creation tool. I did this, and hooked up the flash drive, and properly installed the hard drive, and after powering it on and getting past the asus logo it did nothing. It was just a black screen, with no cursor. I restart my computer a few more times, and still got the same black screen. I then hooked up my old HDD and everyone loaded like normal. I hate to think that there is something wrong with the dual drive I bought (from ebay :wink:) but does anyone have any solutions for

1. Getting it to just show up as the 120 GB SSD like it is supposed to from the start. (Note: I tried DLG Diag writing zeros. Didn't work)

2.Get the windows installer to load up with the Flash drive and Dual drive hooked up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, @Jack!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD Black Square drive! :( I wouldn't recommend buying a used hard drive ever, but let's see if we can do anything about yours. I'd suggest you check how the WD Dual drive is detected on another computer as well.
First of all, download & install WD Black2 Dual drive installation software. This utility will help you disable and then enable the HDD portion of the dual drive to see if it will appear properly afterwards. For the cloning procedure, please use Acronis True Image WD Edition and follow the instructions in this article .

Give these a try and let me know how it goes.
Posting some screenshots from the...
Welcome to the TH community, @Jack!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD Black Square drive! :( I wouldn't recommend buying a used hard drive ever, but let's see if we can do anything about yours. I'd suggest you check how the WD Dual drive is detected on another computer as well.
First of all, download & install WD Black2 Dual drive installation software. This utility will help you disable and then enable the HDD portion of the dual drive to see if it will appear properly afterwards. For the cloning procedure, please use Acronis True Image WD Edition and follow the instructions in this article .

Give these a try and let me know how it goes.
Posting some screenshots from the utility and Disk Management in Windows would be really helpful, too.

Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS