[SOLVED] WD Blue 1TB M.2 2280 SSD Not Detected By MSI Bios or Windows

Jun 1, 2020
After having struggled with slow and unresponsive 2.5'' Kingston SSDs, I recently made the switch to M.2 Western Digital SSDs. After installing them on the motherboard, I started a new install of windows on my computer and I weirdly noticed that only my 120 GB SSD, and not my 1TB SSD, was appearing as a bootable drive. I thought this was weird however given that this was the drive which I was intending to use as my boot drive anyways, I continued on. After the install finished I went to configure my new drive in the windows storage manager, however I again noticed my 1TB drive wasn't appearing. I went into my BIOS and again my 1TB drive wasn't appearing. At this point I began to panic a bit, as I am not tech-savvy enough to troubleshoot on my own. I looked it up online and came across some articles which recommended I check my MOBO user guide so I did and I did not notice any compatibility issues between my drive and MOBO, nor between my GPU Setup and my SSD placement. However, I may very well have missed something. I was wondering if someone more tech savy than me could explain what is going on and whether this is something I can fix in BIOS?

Hardware:

MOBO: MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI
PCI_E1 GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800X
M.2_1 SSD: 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280
M.2_2 SSD: 120GB WD Green SATA SSD M.2 2280

USAFRet

Titan
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI/Specification

"M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors) or PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) 2242/2260/2280 storage devices "

The M2_1 slot does not support M.2 SATA drives, only PCIe.
Won't work in that slot.

Solution