News  WD Blue 1TB SSD Drops to $99.99

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm considering it to replace my 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 500GB Crucial MX500 combo (also freeing up those drives to go into other systems). However, I'm trying to figure out the difference between otherwise nearly-identical appearing WD Blue SSD drives. ie: most of the time, I see the 1TB as having model number WDS100T2B0A. But I've seen some WDS100T10A.

This one from Best Buy is: WDBNCE0010PNC-WRSN, a completely different format.

They all (apparently) have a 5 year warranty and a 400TBW endurance, but is there anything different in the guts that makes them perform differently? Different controllers? Or just different firmware?

The 2016 vs the 2017 reviews on Tom's Hardware seemed to indicate different performance, at least in sequential write. Not sure where to go with this.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
$110 now, bummer i was considering.
Looks like this has dram cache, also rumor is these are repurposed sku's, originally they had 2d 15nm SD nand, now they have 3d nand, which may have better endurance and performance, rumor is also dram cache has been reduced, still need someone to crack one of these open.
See old reddit thread.

Giroro

Splendid
"At $100, Best Buy’s WD Blue 1TB deal equates to 10 cents per gig. "

More like 11 cents per gig, when you consider the actual capacity of the drive is significantly lower than 1000GB