[SOLVED] WD Blue (500GB) Beeps

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Good day,

I bought a new WD Blue 500GB to add to my storage recently. However, when i plug it in, it causes my pc to hang (it does not even go to POST) and the hard drive makes beeping sounds. The PC works fine if i disconnect the WD hard drive. Any solution or workaround for this?

I have this following setup:
Ryzen 2600x
Palit 1050ti
16GB RAM
2 SATA HDD
1 SATA SSD
520W Seasonic PSU

Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for the hasty reply. Yes. I bought this hard drive new, and thia is a 3.5" hard drive for a desktop PC. All my drives are 3.5" except for the ssd.

Ah sorry I was looking at the wrong model. It usually and probably is a problem with the head. If it was new then it either went a few ways, it was a faulty model, it broke when it was being shipped (if it was shipped), or its power is being starved. It is likely the power because you have so many drives in your computer I could only put your system to blame but just as a quick test, remove all your drives and just try to see if your WD drive will keep beeping, or press it gently, if you hear a grating sound then its broken. I doubt it is though, and desktop drives are pretty...
Good day,

I bought a new WD Blue 500GB to add to my storage recently. However, when i plug it in, it causes my pc to hang (it does not even go to POST) and the hard drive makes beeping sounds. The PC works fine if i disconnect the WD hard drive. Any solution or workaround for this?

I have this following setup:
Ryzen 2600x
Palit 1050ti
16GB RAM
2 SATA HDD
1 SATA SSD
520W Seasonic PSU

Thanks.

Hello,

A few things to take in mind. First of, a laptop drive will not work in a desktop unless you are lucky or have an adapter. This happened to me and the computer wouldn't post until I disabled the post fail screen or removed the drive. If I booted in with it it simply wouldn't show up in devices. But also I have a few laptop drives lying around and I have the same exact one which is awful. It does the same and you should check with yours, if you press the drive lightly when its running it will make a horrible grating sound. Unfortunately its broken and its not worth it getting it repaired. Did you buy it used?

kidlatwarfreak

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Hello,

A few things to take in mind. First of, a laptop drive will not work in a desktop unless you are lucky or have an adapter. This happened to me and the computer wouldn't post until I disabled the post fail screen or removed the drive. If I booted in with it it simply wouldn't show up in devices. But also I have a few laptop drives lying around and I have the same exact one which is awful. It does the same and you should check with yours, if you press the drive lightly when its running it will make a horrible grating sound. Unfortunately its broken and its not worth it getting it repaired. Did you buy it used?

Thanks for the hasty reply. Yes. I bought this hard drive new, and thia is a 3.5" hard drive for a desktop PC. All my drives are 3.5" except for the ssd.

Ah sorry I was looking at the wrong model. It usually and probably is a problem with the head. If it was new then it either went a few ways, it was a faulty model, it broke when it was being shipped (if it was shipped), or its power is being starved. It is likely the power because you have so many drives in your computer I could only put your system to blame but just as a quick test, remove all your drives and just try to see if your WD drive will keep beeping, or press it gently, if you hear a grating sound then its broken. I doubt it is though, and desktop drives are pretty large so the press test won't work. Your PSU is good for your system so I doubt thats the culprit. So I can only single out that the drive is broken. Like I said, I hate WD Drives. They always break for me. My PS3 drive beeps, my other desktop drive from my old laptop drive is broken and a spare one lying around just doesnt respond. They are all WD. Hope this helps!

Solution