[SOLVED] WD Blue 500Go 3D NAND M.2 SSD

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Hello,

My Aorus B450 Elite's M.2 slot is now carrying an M.2 SSD from WD but it's not showing up on Disk Management.
For the record I searched the internet a lot and every solution involved the SSD actually showing somewhere. This is my first PCIe SSD.

My questions are:
-Do my M.2 SSD needs more than just being pluged-in to show up? Or do I need to power it up or plug in a SATA cable? Because the mobo manual does not mention more than to srew it in the M.2 slot.
-If not, what can I do? Is it dead on arrival?

Feel free to ask me anything from pictures to logs etc.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Make sure it's in the M2A slot. Thats the one that supports SATA M2 drives.

Leave the ports in AHCI mode.

See 1-7 in your motherboard manual for the drive/slot availability table.
Slotting it in and screwing it down are all you really should need to do. Does the drive appear in the BIOS at all? If it doesn't appear in the BIOS it might be a DOA drive.

You should also check your motherboard manual as there may be a setting that needs to be changed for the drive to become accessible. In a lot of cases an M.2 slot will disable SATA ports as they use the same bus lines to the chipset and CPU, so it could be that it isn't disabling those ports for use with the M.2 drive.

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Slotting it in and screwing it down are all you really should need to do. Does the drive appear in the BIOS at all? If it doesn't appear in the BIOS it might be a DOA drive.

You should also check your motherboard manual as there may be a setting that needs to be changed for the drive to become accessible. In a lot of cases an M.2 slot will disable SATA ports as they use the same bus lines to the chipset and CPU, so it could be that it isn't disabling those ports for use with the M.2 drive.

I read you sometimes needs to change to RAID mode but actually not activating it, I wasn't sure what to do about it I don't want to screw everything up.
Going in the BIOS brb

nicksandeimer

Prominent
Sep 7, 2019
Make sure it's in the M2A slot. Thats the one that supports SATA M2 drives.

Leave the ports in AHCI mode.

See 1-7 in your motherboard manual for the drive/slot availability table.

Oh. My. God. What a dum-dum I didn't realized there was an extra mounting screw for smaller M.2 in the mobo box, sometimes you just search for the complex before even trying the simplest things...

Thank you my good sir!