WD Blue HDD Not Working, Tried A Lot of Things!

Denver K

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I have a WD Blue 1T HDD, and a Crucial 256 GB SSD.

I just build my computer (3 days ago) and everything was running fine all plugged in and everything. I was downloading things that were suppose to go over night, but instead didn't check the time to shut off option, and it turned off in the middle of the night. When I woke up the screen prompted me to install Windows 8 again, but I restarted and went into BIOS to boot directly on the HDD.

It goes on the desktop, runs my first program, and freezes. Wait a few minutes, still frozen. So I just rebooted it again. This time, it says something along the lines "No OS, use a drive or partition to boot an OS."

I go into BIOS and my HDD is gone.
So I determined it was dead after reading a few threads.
(Also for some reason, when I first loaded my computer up, never had to install Windows 8, on my HDD there was already a profile for someone.)

So I played a day on my SSD. A coworker of my moms gave her a note to give to me. She told me to unplug my SSD before anything and the note said : "Switch BIOS to AHCI/RAID from IDE. Format HDD NTFS then reinstall Windows."
I never removed my SSD, but I when I looked at the storage, it was at AHCI, but I changed it to RAID. Rebooted, BIOS, I saw my HDD! And it booted from there on the HDD, but still got to the desktop, and frozen. Rebooted, BIOS, lost it again.

I have tried -
Changing the SATA cord
Putting the SATA cord on a different plug on the psu
Unplug the HDD, reinstall on SSD
Deleted everything on SSD many times
Changed BIOS to AHCI/RAID many times
Looked in disk manager every time after installing windows
Installed windows on SSD without RAID

I literally do not know what else to do.

Yea setting to RAID you don't want. Just set to AHCI.

And if you ever do install windows ONLY have the drive you plan to install it to plugged in. Like if you install it to the SSD unplug the HDD.

What is on your SSD if anything? And is this a drive HDD and also what are you full PC specs.

have you tried moving around where it is plugged into on the motherboard?

Looks like the top Two are a different controller than the bottom 4. Try plugging into one of the bottom 4 (Just not the VERY bottom 2. That is for power for when they are setup as SATA Express and are not used on normal SATA Drives

Denver K

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Mhm, I have moved them to be in a row where it's 1, 3, and 4 but that didn't work. Yeah I just looked at the manual and did that, not plugging them into the bottom

Welcome to the community, Denver K!

I'm truly sorry to hear about your issues with the WD Blue drive! :( I'd recommend you to try the drive on another computer and see how and if it will get recognized there. If you manage to get it detected, I'd also suggest you to run WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostic tool and test the drive's health and SMART status by running both the QUICK and EXTENDED tests. Here's a link to the utility: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=rUz1Qb

If nothing helps, I'd strongly recommend getting in touch with our technical support and sending an RMA request for the WD Blue (if it's still covered by the warranty). You should be able to get a replacement.
WD Support Contacts: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=a7hedw
How to RMA your WD Blue: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=hWEOfp

Good luck! Keep us posted with the troubleshooting though! :)
SuperSoph_WD