WD BLUE HDD slowed down.

Silvy2

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Hello
I have a 500GB WD blue HDD in my PC thats has ran for about 2 years. Its task are video rendering and games. Also stores some personal files that almost never get used.
The drive is 85% full now.

Lately my HDD has slowed down. I dont use it as much anymore, but i ran crystal disk mark today and noticed i was getting 60MB/s instead of the normal 100mb/s i got when i first got it.
HDD wore out? Slow down to getting full?

Solution
As @darthvader30 said, it's probably fragmented. But that's not the only possible reason. When the HDD fills up, the only free space left is on the outside of the platters, where the reading time is slightly lower since it spins at the same speed, but the area is larger. Also, the WD blue is not for video rendering or gaming.
Fragmentation should have no effect on benchmarks since it's testing by reading and writing its own info. But 15% free should still be enough and it should defrag on schedule.

Make sure there wasn't anything using the hdd when you tested. Maybe something in the background could affect it like if it was in the middle of a defrag. It could also be because of where it's at on the platter and the outside gets written on first (mostly) and is faster. If you use something like hd tune, it'll graph out the speeds and access times over the platter.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
As @darthvader30 said, it's probably fragmented. But that's not the only possible reason. When the HDD fills up, the only free space left is on the outside of the platters, where the reading time is slightly lower since it spins at the same speed, but the area is larger. Also, the WD blue is not for video rendering or gaming.

Solution
1) No need to add a defrag app. if using Windows 10.

It's probable that Windows 7 and 8 also include. this.

2) So make sure it is enabled, but you can CHECK to see if it's fragmented and run if necessary by:
a) open File Manager
b) right-click drive, "properties" -> "tools" -> "Optimize"
c) click "optimize" (may tell you it's not needed. also see if a profile exits. Default is weekly I believe)

3) *60MB/second probably doesn't mean it is "slowing down" overall (not wearing out)
- the OUTER EDGE can be accessed 2X faster than the inner edge due to the lateral velocity
- outer-> 100MB/s
- inner-> 50MB/s

60MB/s is about right if transferring newer files sitting near the inner edge.

4) run diagnostics if concerned about reliability.

5) Other solutions include:
a) get an SSD and/or newer hard drive

b) If only the SSD you'd need to borrow an HDD temporarily (unless you reinstall Windows which isn't a bad idea)->

1- buy 256GB SSD
2- format it to test, update firmware etc if needed
3- MOVE enough data to drop below 200GB (for Steam games you can just copy the "Steamapps" folder, though MODS are a hassle)

4- Clone - Machrium Reflect Free, for example
5- test
6- format 500GB SSD (FULL, NTFS format not quick. Takes hours but should rebuild the bad sector table)

7- move back data, sort out Steam if necessary etc.

BUYING your own HDD would be even easier. if interested, see PCPARTPICKER. I prefer SAMSUNG, but for a tight budget, possibly (do own research) something like THIS:

SSD - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gf98TW/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3240gmc

HDD -
1TB http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex
2TB http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KyCwrH/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm001

Hey there, @Silvy2!

I'd recommend you backup all your data from the WD Blue somewhere else first, before proceeding with the troubleshooting. Having at least one more copy of your files stored on a different drive/storage device is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss!
Once you have your files backed up, try reseating the connections to the HDD and check what the benchmark results will show if you use a different SATA cable and a different SATA port on the motherboard. I'd also strongly recommend running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The utility will help us determine the health and SMART stats of the WD Blue.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting & good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Silvy2

Commendable
May 21, 2016
Thanks for the feedback.
I defragmented the HDD a few weeks ago, so I know thats not the problem.
The HDD has 26,000 hours on it but multiple disk checking softwares still showing its in good condition. Im going to assume because I filled it up its getting slower, as some of you explained.
I already have 2 small SSDs in my PC but dont have the money to get an 500+GB SSD. Writing data to SSDs a lot is not ideal for the life spawn of them, too.
I think im going to move video files/project files and stuff that is no longer useful to my network storage server, as they are taking about 1/2 of the space. Should then speed it up.