WD Blue or Green?

Casterina

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I'm deciding whether to get the 1TB WD Blue or Green 5400RPM hard drive for storage and downloading as I have my OS and games on SSD, what are the differences?

Solution
WD blue is their standard disk and AFAIK lasts the longest of their colors. Greens did have a problem under Linux where the kernel kept on interrupting the power saving features and the head giving the disk a very short life span. (This may have been fixed by now.) My advice is to keep away from all 10000rpm disks. These days there isn't a lot of difference between brands.

All disk manufacturers have gone through bad patches. Seagates were rubbish from the late 90s for a decade. Their higher speed disks barely lasted 12months. (I worked as a govt purchasing officer for a department that had several thousand cheetahs and barracudas. Overheating was the main problem,) Seagate sata disks seem OK now. WD were bad mid-90s and between...

buai

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
WD blue is their standard disk and AFAIK lasts the longest of their colors. Greens did have a problem under Linux where the kernel kept on interrupting the power saving features and the head giving the disk a very short life span. (This may have been fixed by now.) My advice is to keep away from all 10000rpm disks. These days there isn't a lot of difference between brands.

All disk manufacturers have gone through bad patches. Seagates were rubbish from the late 90s for a decade. Their higher speed disks barely lasted 12months. (I worked as a govt purchasing officer for a department that had several thousand cheetahs and barracudas. Overheating was the main problem,) Seagate sata disks seem OK now. WD were bad mid-90s and between 2005-2011. Quantum disks were bad all the time.

Solution