[SOLVED] WD Blue or Samsung 860?

Oct 26, 2019
I'm looking to replace my current Barracuda hard drive with an SSD. I'm trying to decide between the Samsung 860 EVO and the WD Blue. The WD is a little cheaper so if it's just as good I'll go with that, but I've heard the Samsung drives are very highly regarded so I'm torn between the two. So which drive would be a better option?

Solution
The Samsung is a superior device in both quality and performance. The WD is an acceptable quality device though with "good enough" performance for most people. If you want the drive that is less likely to encounter issues over it's lifetime, then the Samsung is probably that device, so long as you don't choose a Samsung SSD, or any SSD for that matter, that uses QLC Nand. The 860 EVO uses TLC Nand. Google TLC vs QLC if you want to know about the differences in longevity.
The Samsung is a superior device in both quality and performance. The WD is an acceptable quality device though with "good enough" performance for most people. If you want the drive that is less likely to encounter issues over it's lifetime, then the Samsung is probably that device, so long as you don't choose a Samsung SSD, or any SSD for that matter, that uses QLC Nand. The 860 EVO uses TLC Nand. Google TLC vs QLC if you want to know about the differences in longevity.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS