WD Blue vs Green vs Seagate Barracuda?

immortalgamer

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I want to buy a 1TB internal HDD for my PC as a secondary storage. I'm just gonna store data on it and it won't be used as a boot drive. I currently use my 2 year old Seagate Barracuda 500GB as the main drive, and there haven't been any bad sector issues with it.

I've had bad experience with WD though. I bought a 1TB WD Blue last month, which started showing bad sectors just after a week and the no. of bad sectors started increasing every other day. Maybe it was just bad luck, but I'm not too sure if I should get a WD drive again.
I've heard that WD Green drives are good for backup and storage, though.

So, what should I get? I'm really confused.

For your purposes, any of them would do fine.

WD Green's are optimized for purely storage tasks, their not that fast but consume less power making them good for storage where performance isnt important. Blues are kind of the laymans drive, an all rounder and would serve you fine (if it doesnt break of course). Seagate Barracuda's are a performance oriented drive similar to the WD Black, this is what you get if you want better performance.

Personally I use Seagate Barracuda's, where I am they are cheaper than WD Blacks and I don't particularly care about the 3W more they consume over something like a Green.