WD Caviar Black 500 GB HDD is not recognized

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hey guys. My brother recently got a new HDD for his old hp pavillion desktop. My dad installed the new hard drive, but says that it is not recognized under "My Computer" or in Windows XP's "Disk Management" software. I am offshore right now, so it is hard for me to troubleshoot it right now. I was hoping to get some help from you guys so that i can know what to do when i get home. I don't know much about HDD installation, so try and keep things simple for me. Here is the information/details that i can think of off the top of my head:

The first HDD IS recognized in Windows, and seems to be working properly.

The HDD is a Western Digital Caviar and I'm pretty sure it's the Black model.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320 pretty sure it's that one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073 could be that one i guess

This is for an older Hp Pavillion (Pentium D). Last i looked the mobo had 4 Sata ports (1 being used by the primary HDD). I know this particular model is upgradeable to a second HDD because there are holes drilled on the bottom of the case for secondary HDD installation.

HOWEVER, when i looked at the mobo specs given from Hp it showed that the mobo supported Sata 1 or something along those lines. This HDD is Sata 2. Is that going to affect anything? The cable we bought is also Sata 2 i believe.

The HDD is connected to power, and i think my dad probably did that correctly. He says he can feel the HDD spinning when the pc is booted up.

I had read something online about a "jumper" that can cause problems if you don't set the right "master" or "slave". I had never heard of this but my dad knew a little about it. I think he told me there wasn't a place on the HDD for a jumper, but I'm not exactly sure.

EDIT: I think i just read that SATA drives don't have jumpers or the master/slave confusion. But then i was looking in another forum and they said when connecting a SATA II drive to a SATA I mobo that a jumper might be needed. I'm really confused here.

EDIT: I almost forgot! So I did not know this until a few weeks ago when i was going through this pavillion's specs via hp support. Apparently the single HDD is already in a RAID array. I believe it's RAID 1, but don't take my word for it. I could find out though. I'm not sure what kind of impact this could have, but i would think it is something important to know.

I can probably provide any other necessary/helpful information to get this thing sorted out. I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but like i said my background in HDD's is lacking. I will try and respond as quickly as possible, but as i am working offshore it might take a little time for me to reply. I might even give my T.H. account info so he can get on here and answer questions.

Thanks guys.

chiromark

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Hi touchdowntex. I have the same problem right now and I found your question. Did anyone reply back to you?
I have the WD Caviar Black with the pins for jumper shunts.
On their website, WD says that pins 5&6 must be joined to reduce the speed to a 1.5gb/s from a 3.0gb/s.
I tried this and I still don't see this drive under My Computer.
In Computer Management, it's showing up as Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized. I can't format it because right-clicking here does nothing.
If you found an answer to this problem, please let me know.
Thanks.

chiromark

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Installed WD Caviar Black SATA II drive into older motherboard that works with IDE and SATA I drives. I bought this drive to use as a secondary drive.
However, under My Computer, the extra drive did not appear.

Western Digital website suggest that you do the following to reduce the transfer rate from 300mb/s to 150mb/s by attaching a jumper shunt on #5 with #6.

If you don't have any jumper shunt then get a paperclip and using plyers, squeeze the looped side until the two sides are very close together and cut off the excess length so that it will fit into where the Jumper setting pins are. In other words, make it into a squished horseshoe-shaped loop. Now you can join pin 5 with pin 6 and it shouldn't touch the other pins beside them.

See the diagram at this link for pins 5 and 6. (copy and paste into address bar if you cannot click onto the link below).

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1271/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-ssc-(spread-spectrum-clocking)-on-wd-serial-ata-hard

You want OPT1 enabled.

Now attach your new hard drive to your motherboard and when you boot up your computer, repeatedly press F2 to get into the BIOS.

Go to Drive Configuration and set Primary SATA drive from OFF to AUTO.
If your original drive is already the Primary SATA drive then enable the Secondary SATA drive from OFF to AUTO.

Exit the BIOS and allow the computer to complete the boot.

At this point, you still won't see your hard drive under My Computer. However, you should see it in Computer Management in both Device Manager --> Disk Drives, and in Storage --> Disk Management.

Go to Disk Management and you will see your original disk as Disk 0 and your new disk as Unknown. This drive will also show up as Unallocated.
Right click where it says Unknown and select Basic volume. Follow the other instructions. Once done, format it.

While formatting, you will now see this drive in My Computer.

Good luck to all.