WD Caviar Black vs Barracuda 7200.12

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

turbogp1966

Honorable
May 9, 2012
I have had much worse overall luck with Seagate, the Caviar Black series are I believe the best consumer HDD available, the platters have spindle bearings at both ends (no one else does) and the electronics are a grade above as well. I have 2 - 750s in a RAID array and they are awesome, rock solid and never had a seconds trouble. I would go WD with no hesitation.
Ryan

turbogp1966

Honorable
May 9, 2012
glVertex, the MTBFs are dropping (higher failure) because of higher capacities, I am very hesitant on the 2 and 3 TB drives squashed into a single 3.5 form-factor because the track and sector sizes are so infinitesimal. Just asking for a crash. I would rather RAID or JBOD some smaller ones if you need capacity that badly, I have an external 1TB for disc-to-disc backups and thats about as far as Im going to push.

I have a StarTech PCISATA RAID card that I paid like $40 for from TigerDirect and I have yet to have either of the drives show disconnected at boot or drop off-line during ops, cant say anything more about a perfect record, so Im not sure who was having issues withe their Blacks in RAID but they must have a crappy card, bad config or a failing drive. I connected the drives after snapping in the card, ran the setup utility once and that was the last thought Ive ever had to give them and I do Carrara 3D modeling with files that are over 2 GB and sometimes almost 3GB each and never had any I/O or crash issues, ever. They just flat out work, period. Cant ask for anything more.
Fixing to build me a new monster, Intel or AMD 6 ot 8 core with an SSD for boot and 4 x Caviar Blacks for RAID 10 on Win 7 Pro, should be incredible for Carrara to try beating that guy up, it'll be a beast.