WD Caviar Black warranty

knight fall

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
My years old Hitachi has decided to stop working properly. So, I have to buy a new one. I was thinking of buying a Caviar Black 1 TB.
The local distributor is offering only 2 years of warranty for Caviar Black. Is it normal for local distributor to offer reduced warranty for some products ?\

Here is the link:http://www.computersourcebd.com/Western+Digital/Internal+Hard+Drive/Caviar-Black-WD2002FAEX_224.html

WD website is telling that customers from Asia-Pacific, India & Thailand should get a 5 year warranty for both Non-Kitted & retail kit hard drive.

It is confusing to me. If anyone has any answer feel free to share :)

Anyway, I live in Bangladesh.

Solution
Hi there,

The web site of WD for your area states the warrantyfor WD Cariar Black HDDs, for component parts or retail package HDD's is 5 years.
That's the same here in the US. It has nothing to do with the retailer, any problems or RMA's are between the consumer and WD.

They have a warranty check button, where you put the SN of the drive in, and it gives you that drive's warranty. Of course you have to have the HDD to have the SN!

I am comfortable with that, but if you want to be sure, here is the WD telephone number in Thailand

00-1800-4410570 Monday - Friday 10 am - 7 pm ST

Also for your area here is the email address you could use if needed...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

The web site of WD for your area states the warrantyfor WD Cariar Black HDDs, for component parts or retail package HDD's is 5 years.
That's the same here in the US. It has nothing to do with the retailer, any problems or RMA's are between the consumer and WD.

They have a warranty check button, where you put the SN of the drive in, and it gives you that drive's warranty. Of course you have to have the HDD to have the SN!

I am comfortable with that, but if you want to be sure, here is the WD telephone number in Thailand

00-1800-4410570 Monday - Friday 10 am - 7 pm ST

Also for your area here is the email address you could use if needed.
http://websupport.wdc.com/rdsfdc.asp?linktype=home&portaltype=wd&custtype=end&fs=&ss=&lang=en

I like the WD Caviar Blacks, never had a problem with them. Did have 1 Older IDE PATA 500GB HDD slow down last year, RMA'd it with an HD Tune Pro graph and they sent me a new one in 2 days, no questions asked.

Solution

knight fall

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Thank you for your info. I have emailed WD asking them about it. Anyway, I will inquire the local distributor about it tomorrow morning. Hope they will give me a valid answer. :)