WD Caviar Green for gaming help

saumya

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi guys,
After all the help i got from graphics cards and cpu and m/b section, i was able to choose and buy the right things for my gaming pc.

But, the biggest mistake i committed was buying a hard disk presuming that they are all the same.
Yesterday i was just transferring data from my old hard disk to new one and i saw that my disk was labelled Cavier Green.
That Green just struck my mind because common sense says that green is often used where performance is compromised for efficiency. So i did some googling and my heart sunk. I came to know that these greens are oriented towards power saving and less noise while the computer i built was solely for gaming. :cry:

Its model number is WD5000AADS-00S9B0

What do you suggest me to do. Should i go to the dealer and ask for a replacement with Cavier Blue with 16mb cache (mine having 32mb). Which one would be better??Does this buffer memory matter a lot??

I can't afford Cavier Black and i opted for this one over Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. Was this a big mistake, would it really matter a lot in gaming?

Now having phenom II 550be and msi hd4870 i expected a game like fifa09 to run flawless at 1024X768 resolution. But i'm experiencing slight hangs of half a second after every 20 seconds or so. Could the hard disk be a reason for this?

Is it true that Cavier Greens run at 5400rpm fixed

My dealer said following is the order of so called performance. Black>Green>Blue. Is it true??

Please help guys.its urgent.

Thanks in advance.

This is what i got with HD Tune.

hdtuneg.jpg

By saumya9888 at 2009-12-25

Your dealer was wrong.

As far as WDs products are concerned, Velociraptor>Black>Blue>Green. Yes, the green runs at 5400rpm fixed.

As for whether you should do anything about it, the green isn't a bad drive. It all depends on how picky you want to be. The blue would probably be faster, but not a ton faster. In gaming, the performance will be identical except for loading times (which will be shorter with the blue).

saumya

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Okay if you say that there won't be a lot of difference in gameplay then i don't think i would really bother the dealer and myself so much.

Can you please clarify if the problem i'm experiencing with fifa09 can be hard disk based or not??

Also tell if i really decide to switch over to blue, than let me make clear that my disk is 500gb green with 32 mb buffer while the blue is only available with 16mb buffer, would i be losing on something with that half amount of buffer.

The cache doesn't matter enough to worry about, honestly. The blue would be faster despite the smaller cache.

As for fifa09, I don't know what's causing that. When it hangs, does your hard drive light turn on (solidly, not just a little blip)? If so, the hard drive is probably the issue, though you might also want more RAM if that's the case.

saumya

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I already have 4 gb ram on a 32 bit system so increasing ram is not an option.

The hang duration is not long enough for me to be able to see if hard disk light blinks or not. I can ask someone else to keep track of that though. i'll post the result by tomorrow.

Burnout paradise runs without any glitch with all settings at max. Fifa09 is rather a game with lesser requirements.