[SOLVED] WD elements usb damages

Feb 16, 2022
My WD elements has stopped working, it was plugged in and powered up but not in use when my 15 month old boy got hold of it and bent the USB port, I now get no response from the HDD at all. Is this fixable?

Solution
When you say not to hard all solutions I've found online seem to involve soldering or transplanting components which I don't think I'm capable of doing. It also appears impossible to connect it to my computer any other way. I do want the data that's on there but not enough to spend big money or learn new skills. Basically I'm after a quick and easy solution to retrieve the data as I'm very lazy and very busy.

Repairing electronics is not like tossing eggs and milk in the fridge after a shopping trip, it does need some basic knowledge. For someone that does do that work, it's not hard. Quick and easy solution, crack it open and see if the drive is a normal SATA interface then get a SATA to USB connection and use that to get...
Feb 16, 2022
Good chance it can be if only the port is damaged. Those are not too hard to replace.
When you say not to hard all solutions I've found online seem to involve soldering or transplanting components which I don't think I'm capable of doing. It also appears impossible to connect it to my computer any other way. I do want the data that's on there but not enough to spend big money or learn new skills. Basically I'm after a quick and easy solution to retrieve the data as I'm very lazy and very busy.

Repairing electronics is not like tossing eggs and milk in the fridge after a shopping trip, it does need some basic knowledge. For someone that does do that work, it's not hard. Quick and easy solution, crack it open and see if the drive is a normal SATA interface then get a SATA to USB connection and use that to get the files out, as long as the enclosure does not encrypt the drive automatically during use you can read the files that way. Most things are fixable, it's just a matter of the effort and/or money you put into fixing it.

Solution
Feb 16, 2022
I was hoping it would be that simple but there is no SATA connection on WD external drives, usb soldered direct to the drive. This appears to be a fairly common complaint with WD drive, that there is no way to directly access data should the USB break in some way. I appreciate what you are saying about reward equalling time and effort and once upon a time I would have been more likely to try but between working ambulance shifts and parenting young children I have neither the time or the energy. I appreciate you taking the time to reply but the data would be nice to have but not essential.