Question Wd green ssd wrong trim???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Hi i have wd green ssd
120g2g0a and i have dashboard v 1.4.4.5 .so first question: this ssd support trim? Second : in to dashboard I see the trim option and click on it and said trim progress at the same time i open windows default defragment tool and i see also windows defragment is working with dashboard and defrag my drive . So that’s is ok? And after trim i go to dashboard smart detail and and see my total gigabyte written . Before trim was 810gig and after trim 815 . So am completely confused . Help.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

popatim

Titan
Don't defrag SSD's, they only need Trim. This is what happens, defrag re-arranges data causing many writes because an SSD cannot overwrite exisiting data. To write to a single cell, an SSD must copy the whole data block off, Write 0's to the original block, and then write in the changed call and the remaining block of data. Defrag can cause this to happen numerous times to the same block as it rearranges cells.

And the kicker is: SSD's simply don't get fragmented. Unlike an HDD that likes the data all in a row so the heads don't have to move all over which slows it down horribly, an SSD has no performance loss reading data anywhere on it no matter how scattered it is.

So find your defrag schedule and turn it off for this drive.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Don't defrag SSD's, they only need Trim. This is what happens, defrag re-arranges data causing many writes because an SSD cannot overwrite exisiting data. To write to a single cell, an SSD must copy the whole data block off, Write 0's to the original block, and then write in the changed call and the remaining block of data. Defrag can cause this to happen numerous times to the same block as it rearranges cells.

And the kicker is: SSD's simply don't get fragmented. Unlike an HDD that likes the data all in a row so the heads don't have to move all over which slows it down horribly, an SSD has no performance loss reading data anywhere on it no matter how scattered it is.

Tna for reply . I said

Tanx for replays . First , windows defragment detcet my ssd as hdd . And i dont know why . So as i said how i trim my drive? I scared trim with windows defragment cause in case defrag my drive. As i said when i click on trim option at wd dashboard at same time windows defragmet start optimazing thst drive automatically .

popatim

Titan
Assuming you only have the single drive you mentioned in your system.
Open a command prompt window as admin. {Rt click on CMD and select Run as Admin}
run/enter in : winsat diskformal
{hit enter if you didn't already}

Windows should now detect your drive as an SSD

If you have more then one drive letter in your system then run winsat disk -drive x {replace x with the drive letter}
Repeat for every drive letter in your system.

That should get windows to realize you have an SSD and turn off Defrag for it.

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Assuming you only have the single drive you mentioned in your system.
Open a command prompt window as admin. {Rt click on CMD and select Run as Admin}
run/enter in : winsat diskformal
{hit enter if you didn't already}

Windows should now detect your drive as an SSD

If you have more then one drive letter in your system then run winsat disk -drive x {replace x with the drive letter}
Repeat for every drive letter in your system.

That should get windows to realize you have an SSD and turn off Defrag for it.
Tnx. So, big question: why windows dont detect my drive as ssd ?

USAFRet

Titan
And again : My information not enough but i know my motherboard is ide and ide not support trim . (Asus m4n68t) and what is a ahci driver ? I should installed?
What is showing you the drive is not detected?
What is telling you IDE?

"This motherboard supports hard drives based on the Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s storage specification, "
Old, but still SATA.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
IDE is a thin gray ribbon cable about 1.5" (almost 4 cm) wide, with a red stripe on 1 rib. They connect into what looks like miniature versions of ram slots.

Sata is a thick ish flat cable about 1cm wide and has a connector like an oversized mini-USB.

If you don't see those giant ribbon cables inside the pc (they are extremely hard to miss) then you have Sata, which uses AHCI.

IDE as a standard for storage use hasn't been used in 10 or so years.

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
IDE is a thin gray ribbon cable about 1.5" (almost 4 cm) wide, with a red stripe on 1 rib. They connect into what looks like miniature versions of ram slots.

Sata is a thick ish flat cable about 1cm wide and has a connector like an oversized mini-USB.

If you don't see those giant ribbon cables inside the pc (they are extremely hard to miss) then you have Sata, which uses AHCI.

IDE as a standard for storage use hasn't been used in 10 or so years.
Tnx. I don't talk about my cables. I said my bios mode is ide

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
your mainboard doesnt support AHCI
btw for TRIM on nvidia chipsets, it will work if u dont use nvidia storage drivers, ms drivers will work fine

if u need AHCI, u will need SATA extension card (pci/pci-e) with its own bios
or another mainboard
Tnx. I dont need ahci . I just want to trim my drive. As i ssid now i trim with wd dashboard but am not sure that's real because at the same time windows default defragment will automaticly defrag my drive . So pls suggest me a few third party triming software. Also windows defragment detect my drive ass hdd

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Ok. Tnx . Now we are done? I have serious Questions.
I asked these questions for one thing ; if windows known own his job and dont defrag my ssd so why every time i try to trim with wd dashboard , my ssd total gigabyte written become much more than before trim . For example ; last night my total gig written on ssd before trim was 800 gig and after trim 807 . am completely confused ...😐

USAFRet

Titan
If we are to assume your desire to do this trim or defrag manually is an effort to maintain or potentially increase performance of this SSD, please explain the CrystalDiskMark results in the pic contained in the Spoiler.

5x Samsung SATA III drives, in my current system.
2x 840 EVO, 1x 850 EVO, 2x 860 EVO.
The date associated was when they were installed in this system. And running basically 24/7.
None of these drives has ever had "defrag" or TRIM run manually. Never, not once.
I've just let the OS and the drive firmware do whatever it needed to.

1kjq9zJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.