Question Wd green ssd wrong trim???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Hi i have wd green ssd
120g2g0a and i have dashboard v 1.4.4.5 .so first question: this ssd support trim? Second : in to dashboard I see the trim option and click on it and said trim progress at the same time i open windows default defragment tool and i see also windows defragment is working with dashboard and defrag my drive . So that’s is ok? And after trim i go to dashboard smart detail and and see my total gigabyte written . Before trim was 810gig and after trim 815 . So am completely confused . Help.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019

Trim does write on your drive, thats why u see more GB written after trim
Are u sure? . I heard trim send a comand to erase blocks and pages for new writes . So that not true my friend . Please science answers😎

if u delete something or move/change things around files, old data blocks arent wiped, they are just marked as free space, but physicaly data are still there, so only garbage collector gets updates (info about unused data marked as free space)
trim command literally wipes those blocks (or small chunks) stored in garbage colector( it sends voltage to erase it, which is write cycle)

without trim, operating system has to wait for old data to get erased first (full blocks), if there was other (valid non free) data ocupying same block, valid data gets moved to buffer, full block gets wiped, and data moves back where they were before (thus more writes) then it can write new data, this reduce your write performance by quite a bit

here some reading
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/simple-questions-what-trim-ssds-why-it-useful

btw u have ACS2, which doesnt have same trim as others with ACS3+ have, it was first implementation of it, which means trim commad doesnt get executed right away when u changing stuffs on drive (wiping empty blocks), but windows will be aware of non empty blocks and avoid writing on it (as long there are free blocks), windows scheduler will eventualy trim it (wipe blocks) once in a while
if u need more recent trim, u will need sata3.1 controller (ata8/acs3+)

Last edited:
Hi i have wd green ssd
120g2g0a and i have dashboard v 1.4.4.5 .so first question: this ssd support trim? Second : in to dashboard I see the trim option and click on it and said trim progress at the same time i open windows default defragment tool and i see also windows defragment is working with dashboard and defrag my drive . So that’s is ok? And after trim i go to dashboard smart detail and and see my total gigabyte written . Before trim was 810gig and after trim 815 . So am completely confused . Help.
Trim is not the same as defrag. Do not defrag an ssd. You'll just wear it out quicker.

If you want to free up disk space use disk cleanup. The amount of free space before and after a trim should be the same. The trim just prepares the nand cells for fresh writes by zeroing them out. If you dont do this then your drive will have to zero during the actual write operation which will slow the drive down. So running trim while the drive isn't busy is just a good way to keep it speedy when you need it.

Windows 10 does this automatically about once a week or so.

its task scheduler (taskschd.msc)
btw if u disabled defrag, then trim may not happen u know right? its usualy set to weekly, in case if its not needed (small garbage collector), it wont do it, if that happens 3 weeks in a row, it will increase priority for trim, after trim priority gets lowered...and it repeats

defrag should be telling you how many days was since last run (for ssd), also analyze is disabled on ssd
for hdd it will tell u how much fragmented drive is

if your defrag still telling you that it is hdd (not ssd), than u didnt run winsat diskformal command

Am i mistaken or do seem to be obsessed with the little performance bar on the wd software?

You ever stop to think that its a rating of max theoretical performance? I mean SATA 3 will hit 6 Gbps. But the drive you own will get nowhere near that. And as your drive fills up it will slow down. This is a hazard of tlc and qlc.

So dont blame us. Blame wd and their lack of clarity as to how performance is measured and factors that influence it.

The only way to tell if its operating properly is to format the drive. Then run crystal benchmark on it and see if it reaches reviewed ratings or specs.

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
Am i mistaken or do seem to be obsessed with the little performance bar on the wd software?

You ever stop to think that its a rating of max theoretical performance? I mean SATA 3 will hit 6 Gbps. But the drive you own will get nowhere near that. And as your drive fills up it will slow down. This is a hazard of tlc and qlc.

So dont blame us. Blame wd and their lack of clarity as to how performance is measured and factors that influence it.

The only way to tell if its operating properly is to format the drive. Then run crystal benchmark on it and see if it reaches reviewed ratings or specs.

FIRST OF ALL : THANK U😶
I DONT blame any one . , you guys didn't give me the exact answer.
this pic not from me but you guys most see it:https://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i...8-b9bf-fff28f93a249/defrag-optimize-disks.jpg

{in that pic windows triming that drive.}

but in my pic : View: https://imgur.com/ja4rUie
windows defrag my drive.
so what is going on here? is my mboard to old to feel my ssd ?
i should buy a brand new sata 3 mboard?
AM WAITING FOR : /AnSwErS\

FIRST OF ALL : THANK U😶
I DONT blame any one . , you guys didn't give me the exact answer.
this pic not from me but you guys most see it:https://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i...8-b9bf-fff28f93a249/defrag-optimize-disks.jpg

{in that pic windows triming that drive.}

but in my pic : View: https://imgur.com/ja4rUie
windows defrag my drive.
so what is going on here? is my mboard to old to feel my ssd ?
i should buy a brand new sata 3 mboard?
AM WAITING FOR : /AnSwErS\

The pic you are seeing is from windows 10. Windows 10 changed tue interface on how ssdainyenance is handled.

Since crystal disk info shows you have trim support all you meed to do is have ahci turned on and windows 7 will handle it automatically.

it got added as ata8 command set, has nothing to do with ahci, its sata/ahci driver based, as long drive has trim feature, driver will know it

ide/ahci is interface (this just change how drive comunicates with OS- memory structure related how data get transfered)
ata (all editions) is comunication standart (related to speed, and features)

Last edited:
well..doesnt matter, hardware/software side its all ok (driver -> ssd)
so since he didnt do any response about his hdd in disk defrag, nor did he say anything about winsat diskformal...
ssd features in windows 7 are taken from WinSat (performance test)
in windows 7, disk performance must be >= 65 in order to recognize drive as SSD, once u get this or higher score, SSD features will be enabled (disabled defrag & prefetch, etc...)
both prefetch and defrag tools are looking into registry for this value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinSAT\DiskScore
number in decimal is your drive performance, if its lower than 65, change it to 65 or higher

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
well..doesnt matter, hardware/software side its all ok (driver -> ssd)
so since he didnt do any response about his hdd in disk defrag, nor did he say anything about winsat diskformal...
ssd features in windows 7 are taken from WinSat (performance test)
in windows 7, disk performance must be >= 65 in order to recognize drive as SSD, once u get this or higher score, SSD features will be enabled (disabled defrag & prefetch, etc...)
both prefetch and defrag tools are looking into registry for this value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinSAT\DiskScore
number in decimal is your drive performance, if its lower than 65, change it to 65 or higher
tnx . any way my os is windows10.

okay
on keyboard press winkey+S (winkey is key with windows logo)
write: CMD
on right side select Run As Administrator (left mouse click on it)
type: winsat diskformal
then press enter (key on keyboard)
once done, close it

on keyboard press winkey+S
write: PowerShell
type: Get-WmiObject -class Win32_WinSAT
it should write something in that window
hold left mouse button to select it, once all text inside is selected, press enter, it will copy that text into clipboard
with Ctrl+V u can paste it here

Reactions: Ojimoji

Ojimoji

Prominent
Aug 27, 2019
okay
on keyboard press winkey+S (winkey is key with windows logo)
write: CMD
type: winsat diskformal
once done, close it

on keyboard press winkey+S
write: PowerShell
type: Get-WmiObject -class Win32_WinSAT
it should write something in that window
hold left mouse button to select it, once all text inside is selected, press enter, it will copy that text into clipboard
with Ctrl+V u can paste it here
tnx for reply. i run windat diskformal at cmd : View: https://imgur.com/eLD6n3U
but still my ssd show up as hdd in windows defrag.

Status
Not open for further replies.