WD Hard Drive [2 TB] problem

shongo66

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hello Friends, I have been using a WD 2 TB hard drive for 1 month. I have loaded some movies in that drive, but can't play them in VLC / KM player [up to date].. Other files are OK. I have formatted my drive using NTFS and allocation unit size is '4096'.... Can anyone give me a suitable solution???

Solution
After videos and mp3s play well on your computer but not when played from the HDD, then most probably the problem is caused by the USB cable or the HDD itself.
You can start with testing the drive with the tool that I already provided. It will show you whether there are some bad sectors on the drive.
Faulty cable, could cause file corruption as well. So, you will need to try connecting the drive with another cable.
If the test results show that the HDD is fine and the cable isn't the issue, I would advise you to back up the data and format the drive. You can write zeros as well(there is an option of it in WD's DLG tool).

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD
Hi there shongo66,

I doubt that the HDD could be the reason. You can do the following:
- Make sure that the format of the movies is supported by the players. You may try with another player as well.
- Try to play some other videos of your external HDD.
- Try to play the same movies but save the on your computer first.
My suspicion is that there may be something wrong with the movies themselves.

Apart from that, you can test the drive with WD's DLG tool to check out its health status: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=Bk7vyq

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

shongo66

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hello D_Know_WD, from the HDD, not a single movie file is plaing evn after copying in internal drive. but other video and mp3 play well. aslo, some zipped files are corrupted, but they were in good condition when they were in internal drive. but all .exe files run well.. So, i totally puzzled........

After videos and mp3s play well on your computer but not when played from the HDD, then most probably the problem is caused by the USB cable or the HDD itself.
You can start with testing the drive with the tool that I already provided. It will show you whether there are some bad sectors on the drive.
Faulty cable, could cause file corruption as well. So, you will need to try connecting the drive with another cable.
If the test results show that the HDD is fine and the cable isn't the issue, I would advise you to back up the data and format the drive. You can write zeros as well(there is an option of it in WD's DLG tool).

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution

TRENDING THREADS