WD Hard Drive: LED

curt

This is my first WD HD. It's a 40gb mastered to a 40gb Maxtor, both 7200rpm.
Is it normal for this brand of HD, (wdc 400bb), to have it's LED on all the
time? The LED doesn't flash on/off when it's being read, it's a constant
glow. The drive functions without issue, but I find this to be an odd
occurrence since every HD I've had before would flash on/off when it was
doing something. It doesn't matter if it's jumpered cable select or master,
the LED is on constantly. The only time I've seen the LED flash is when a
program would occasionally hang.

Possible causes....????

Thanks,

--
Curt.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:28:46 GMT, "Curt" <no-no@no-time.com> wrote:

| This is my first WD HD. It's a 40gb mastered to a 40gb Maxtor, both 7200rpm.
| Is it normal for this brand of HD, (wdc 400bb), to have it's LED on all the
| time? The LED doesn't flash on/off when it's being read, it's a constant
| glow. The drive functions without issue, but I find this to be an odd
| occurrence since every HD I've had before would flash on/off when it was
| doing something. It doesn't matter if it's jumpered cable select or master,
| the LED is on constantly. The only time I've seen the LED flash is when a
| program would occasionally hang.
|
| Possible causes....????

Plug needs to be reversed on mobo HDD LED pins?

Larc

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:22:06 +0100, Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <yBqjc.12777$xy5.4425@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, no-no@no-
>time.com says...
>> This is my first WD HD. It's a 40gb mastered to a 40gb Maxtor, both 7200rpm.
>> Is it normal for this brand of HD, (wdc 400bb), to have it's LED on all the
>> time? The LED doesn't flash on/off when it's being read, it's a constant
>> glow. The drive functions without issue, but I find this to be an odd
>> occurrence since every HD I've had before would flash on/off when it was
>> doing something. It doesn't matter if it's jumpered cable select or master,
>> the LED is on constantly. The only time I've seen the LED flash is when a
>> program would occasionally hang.
>>
>> Possible causes....????
>>
>Seems to be situation normal under XP. MIne is exactly the same since I
>stuck XP. Quite why I don't know.

They found out that LED on the back of your network card flashed at
the same rate as the data. In fact, someone determined could look at
the back of your computer and read all your traffic. I suspect with
the security bent of the world today, the manufacturers all
disconnected their LED's from the data flow.

TRENDING THREADS