[SOLVED] WD Hard Drive not showing up

Jul 22, 2019
I bought a 1TB WD BLue hard drive for my pc but since its a micro ATX i didnt have any more hard drive bays so i bought an external hard drive enclosure, i plugged it all in, heard the hard drive spin up but it doesnt appear in This PC or devices, any help would be appreciated

Solution
Is it a 3.5" hdd? Depends what the enclosure is and how its powered, usb can only supply 5v which isn't enough for a 3.5" hdd although it will spin up. If on the other hand it is a 2.5" hdd then usb should power it, in this case you might need to initialise the disk first

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Is it a 3.5" hdd? Depends what the enclosure is and how its powered, usb can only supply 5v which isn't enough for a 3.5" hdd although it will spin up. If on the other hand it is a 2.5" hdd then usb should power it, in this case you might need to initialise the disk first

Solution
Jul 22, 2019
thanks for the help but it turned out i had forgotten to partition and format the hard drive XD