Question WD HDD Not initialising

Apr 23, 2023
Hello,
I have been having problems with my WD6400AAKS HDD. It is not showing up as an openable HDD anymore. It used to work fine but I knocked the computer the other day and since then no luck.
I tried looking at device manager and there it shows up under Disk Drives as 'Unknown Device'. On properties it says 'the device is working properly'. In the events yesterday it says device not migrated. However today, after trying the 'sfc /scannow' option it says 'device migrated' but still won't show up as driver G like it used to be.
When I got on device Computer Manager, under Storage - Disk Management, it tells me I need to initialise it either as MBR or GPT, it said the same yesterday before the 'sfc /scannow' thing..but when I click on either on the options, it says 'incorrect function'.

The HDD is attached internally at the desktop pc and I already tried changing cables with another HDD that works, nothing changes.

Any advice on how I could fix it, or at least recover items? I tried installing the WD tools and it finds it as a 0 GB HDD.

For reference, this is the error log I was getting yesterday when the 'device wasn't migrated':

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&e937c7&0&020000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Kingston&Prod_DataTraveler_2.0&Rev_1.00\20CF302E23AAFD515B04325A&0 Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Location Path: Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF130 Present: false Status: 0xC0000719

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" /> <EventID>410</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>4</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-04-21T15:38:17.425441000Z" /> <EventRecordID>683</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel> <Computer>DESKTOP-L8650T4</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\4&e937c7&0&020000</Data> <Data Name="DriverName">disk.inf</Data> <Data Name="ClassGuid">{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}</Data> <Data Name="ServiceName">disk</Data> <Data Name="LowerFilters" /> <Data Name="UpperFilters" /> <Data Name="Problem">0x0</Data> <Data Name="Status">0x0</Data> </EventData> </Event>

Thank you in advance.

Apr 25, 2023
Initialize the WD HDD or External Hard Drive. The very first thing you need to do is initialize your hard drive or external devices. It is the quickest and easiest way to fix disk 1 unknown, not initialized error. You can use Disk Management to initialize the disk or use a tool.

Initialize the WD HDD or External Hard Drive. The very first thing you need to do is initialize your hard drive or external devices. It is the quickest and easiest way to fix disk 1 unknown, not initialized error. You can use Disk Management to initialize the disk or use a tool.
This is very bad advice. Initialisation is data destructive. DON'T DO IT! Any competent data recovery tool will be able to recover from a logical problem without resorting to writing to the source drive. Moreover, if the drive is physically failing, as the OP's drive appears to be, then there is even more reason to be careful.

USAFRet

Titan
1. If a user is trying to retrieve data from a failing drive, this is the worst "first thing" to do.
2. Per the title of the question, Initialization is where it is failing to begin with.

All irrelevant, because it looks like it is dead.