WD HDD showing up as Toshiba in device manager?

Aaron36CF

Prominent
Jul 29, 2017
Hi. I have replaced a 1TB Toshiba HDD with a 6TB WD Black HDD. I formatted the WD properly and it is showing the correct amount of storage space. However, it still says it is the old Toshiba model when checked in device manager and Windows explorer. Is there reason for this? Also, does it affect performance and how would I go about fixing this? Thanks.

Solution
You can try uninstalling the drive in device manager and then rebooting. Windows may reacquire it under the correct description. A full reinstall of windows may clear up the data or may not. Also, go to the brand web site and look for relevant FAQs.Contact support as well.

As to performance, nomenclature per se will not matter since SATA disks use the same driver. You could confirm actual read/ write speeds with those available on the internet .Look at testing and hardware review sites.
You can try uninstalling the drive in device manager and then rebooting. Windows may reacquire it under the correct description. A full reinstall of windows may clear up the data or may not. Also, go to the brand web site and look for relevant FAQs.Contact support as well.

As to performance, nomenclature per se will not matter since SATA disks use the same driver. You could confirm actual read/ write speeds with those available on the internet .Look at testing and hardware review sites.

Solution