News WD Launches New Red SSDs for NAS, 14TB Red HDDs

JordonB

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I hope that they are more reliable then WD's Red has been in the past. One simply needs to look at the many 1 star reviews on New Egg or Amazon to see the problems in reliability. I use WD Blacks in both of my QNAP units a 4 drive raid 5 and a 8 drive raid 6 with almost uncanny reliability all though they are enterprise blacks. The regular WD Blacks I sold when I operated a business were very reliable.

Reactions: mickrussom

mickrussom

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I hope that they are more reliable then WD's Red has been in the past.

agree. i also dont buy drives with less than a 5 year warranty and always consider data from backblaze's hard drive reliability reports.see [ https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-q2-2019/ ]

there should be more legal protections for consumers against hard drive failures as well and also legal protections against grey market goods. so many people get burned by having a failing hard drive only to find out their serial number doesnt have a valid warranty. always check your warranty within the return window folks and stick to drives with 5+ year warranties or be very careful with your data on these cheap chinese built garbage drives.