News WD Moves to Settle SMR HDD False Advertising Class Action Lawsuit

I was one that bought a couple of those drives for my UNRAID array just when the story broke.

I added the ZFS plug in and filled it with garbage and then forced the array to rebuild the parity disk. It was abysmally slow on 6GB drives. I would have taken over 5 days with a Ryzen 2400g CPU. Not exactly comforting when another failure could mean death.

Since I was within my 1 month window, I returned them to amazon as defective because WD support didn't offer me an upgrade option (which I would have paid for)

I since have gone Seagate Ironwolf and haven't looked back. I'm a little concerned about temps on parity checks (57C) (std operating is 55C max) But my drive cage may just need a good cleaning for fan flow. Or I may need to adjust the fan curve up. So far only post warning's I've seen have been about head realignment due to vibration which is pretty standard fare.

Reactions: martinch

DemonicSky

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014
Sadly I bought mine just before. I was concerned but didn't know how bad it would be. I think I replicated 2.5Tb and it took some 10h if not more. If I knew the full story I would have returned them, but don't have the option right now :(

TRENDING THREADS