Question WD My Book Duo - Individual drive shows as "not initialized" ?

Nov 4, 2021
Hello,

I have the following situation.

I have a WD My book Duo 12TB, the drives were set up and configured as individual drives using the WD Disk Utillities app, I mainly use the My book Duo for backup and storage, hence its rarely used. I recently purchaced a WD My book 10TB in order to expand the storage capicity for my WD duo, I removed the drive from its enclosure, I then removed one of the existing 6TB drives from the My Book duo and replaced that one with the new 10TB drive. The 10TB drive was configured and formated as a individual using the WD drive utilities.

Now I had a WD My book duo with a 6TB drive with old backups and stuff and a new empty 10TB drive. I copied all the files from the current 6TB drive to the new 10TB drive.

I then powered down the My Book Duo and replaced the existing 6 TB drive with the one I swapped out for the 10TB drive in order to copy the files from that 6TB drive to the new 10TB drive. The problem now is that the 6TB drive I removed in favour for the 10TB drive cant be found for some reason.
The drive is recognized by WD Disk Utilities as a new unit and not configured and Im asked to configure the drive and hence the content will be wiped...but I dont want that.

I guess it has something to do with the configuration of the individual drive within the WD Utilities setup. Once I setup the new 10TB drive as a individual drive within WD Disk utillities I must have replaced / overwritten the old 6TB drive and hence it cant be recognized by the Mybook Duo anymore.

The drive is found by Windows diskmanager but cant be initialized as GPT or MBR and is listed in the Diskmanager as Disk 1 - Unknown - not initialized. The drive is also found using diskpart but "There are no partitions on this disk to show"

Is there some way around this? Can I somehow recover the files on the 6TB drive or are they lost? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Nov 4, 2021
Hello, thanks for the reply.

I have connected the Mybook through USB with the 6TB drive inside and have tried to access the drive with DMDE but according to DMDE "the disk is not accessible (see help)"

Minitools show the drive but only as a "Disk MBR with 0.00 GB" and with no options to change anything and AOMEI also find the drive but as "Unknown - Disk unreadable" / Disk Basic MBR 0.00kb. Theres a option to initialize the disk but that operation fails.

So to me it seems that the drive cant be accessed / initialized by Windows or any other program before I configure/ format the drive using WB Utilities and hence wipe all the data drom the drive.

But following that logic I believe I will loose access to one of the other drives currently configured within the WD Mybook.

Nov 4, 2021
I removed the 6TB drive in question from the enclosure and hooked it up using a sata cable to a desktop.
Seems that the drive can be found in diskmanager and Minitools etc, however the drive shows but the drivespace shows up as unallocated without any data or partition. I have not tried to scan it with DMDE yet.