WD My Cloud 6TB - remove disk and re-format

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Hi, I have a 6TB My Cloud and would like to remove the disk and re-format for use elsewhere.
I did this a long time ago and had loads of problems with the format.
I currently have the disk removed and connected to my PC via USB - in computer management it shows as 2 separate disks, one disk shows 7 partitions all healthy, the other disk is 2TB unallocated.
Has anyone re-partitioned/formatted one of these disks and can advise.
(I seem to re-call it was really difficult to get the HDD to show as just one disk)
Thanks

As far as physically removing the disk, is there a particular reason you want to do this (e.g., use it inside a dekstop)?

To use the entire 6TB space without 2TB unallocated the disk must be partitioned as a GPT disk (as opposed to the older MBR format). Modern versions of Windows support this but to be sure, could you post what version of Windows you have? Before formatting, make sure anything important on that drive that you don't want to lose is backed up somewhere else. Before you convert to GPT you must delete all partitions, then you can right-click in Disk Management and select the option "convert to GPT disk."

sambat2000

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
mkf7so.jpg
[/img]

It is one physical disk, a WD WD60EFRX, but shows as two disk in Computer Management (Win 10 64bit).
The reason I ask is that had a 4TB disk that I tried to format before, and had a heck of a problem getting it as one disk, took days to do, but I cant remember how
mkf7so.jpg
[/img] to do it.

Delete all the partitions from Disk 5, create one and format it using ntfs.
Initialize Disk 6, create one partition and format it using ntfs.

Can you do this in Disk Management :
rightclick on disk 5, choose properties,
rightclick on disk 6, choose properties
and post screenshot?