[SOLVED] WD my cloud help

Apr 29, 2021
I have a WD my cloud & it died yesterday, for better or worse I've taken it apart as I was hoping I could recover the dats using a SATA case as I was hoping it was just the motherboard which had gone down but found that the read/write head stack is doing what I would call skipping for want of a better word. The disc spins up OK & the stack moves to the center of the disc then moves back & forward repeatedly "skipping" there is probably a correct term but I dont knw it as I'm not an expert. There is no scratching noise as the stack moves so hopefully it might be salvageable. The drive is a WD red 4TB & I'm wondering if it is possible to replace the head stack as the disc so it will read the drive so I can salvage the dater on it or is it completely knackered?

I made sure I opened the HDD in a clean dust free environment as I had spent this morning googling what could be wrong with it & now I'm at a point where I need a little help as I dont know what might cause the skipping & weather it is the circuit board on the HDD or the stack or has it now unfortunately become a paperweight. If it is terminal it is a real inconvenience but not the end of the world but I would like to be able to recover something if I can. If its beyond me would a good computer shop be able to do it for me? One thing I have been unable to find out is what stack is combatable & where I might be able to get one. I dont have another WD red HDD to act as a donor so need parts

BTW I live in the UK so getting parts might be difficult for me

Solution
The centre of the platter is where the System Area (SA) is located. This is where the bulk of the drive's firmware is stored. Therefore it appears that the drive is unable to read the SA, which would suggest a problem with the heads. :-(

USAFRet

Titan
I made sure I opened the HDD in a clean dust free environment
Unless your environment looked like this, it wasn't.
0M0VV7w.png

Situations like this is exactly what backups are for.
Your data should never ever be at the mercy of a single device.

The centre of the platter is where the System Area (SA) is located. This is where the bulk of the drive's firmware is stored. Therefore it appears that the drive is unable to read the SA, which would suggest a problem with the heads. :-(

Solution