WD My Passport Wireless not seen in Windows 8.1

nzbrad

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
I have a my passport wireless which was working fine a few months back but after a power cut it dropped off my wifi network. I plugged it into an old laptop and it can access the files on it and can add and remove them but when I plug it directly into my computer that runs 8.1 I can't find it anywhere (including device manager, disk management). When I plug it in the light comes on (white) and it sounds normal, just no access to it from computer. What am I missing? Am I stuck only ever using it on my old laptop?

Solution
Welcome to the TH community, @nzbrad!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport Wireless! It looks like your Windows 8.1 computer might need to have the USB Hub controller drivers updated. I'd strongly recommend you go to the motherboard/computer manufacturer's official website and search for your model there. You should be able to find a Support tab (Downloads & Drivers) that are compatible with your OS version. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB ports installed from there, instead of using Windows Updates. You might as well plug it in multiple ports on the Win 8.1 system, the issue could be caused by a faulty USB port as well.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH community, @nzbrad!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD My Passport Wireless! It looks like your Windows 8.1 computer might need to have the USB Hub controller drivers updated. I'd strongly recommend you go to the motherboard/computer manufacturer's official website and search for your model there. You should be able to find a Support tab (Downloads & Drivers) that are compatible with your OS version. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your USB ports installed from there, instead of using Windows Updates. You might as well plug it in multiple ports on the Win 8.1 system, the issue could be caused by a faulty USB port as well.

Hope it helps. Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution