WD Mybook access from wireless

Aug 28, 2018
I've been looking for an answer to this for a very long time. perhaps someone here knows the answer. I has a WB Mybook drive. It is hardwired on my network. It has several shares set up and these are mapped as drives by a number of Windows 7/8 pc's and linux servers. This setup has been working perfectly for nearly three years. Then I tried to use the same mapping setup with a wirelessly connected Windows 7 laptop. It will not map the drives, sometimes it tells me the WD drive does not exist, other times it prompts me for username and password for the share owner. However nothing that I enter works and it goes into a loop prompting me. Funny thing is, if I plug the laptop into a wired connection, the drives map and function perfectly. I finally gave up and didn't try anymore, until we added two more laptops to the network. Same thing happening, on both Windows 7/8. Also on both of these laptops, if I plug them into a wired connection everything works just fine. Any thoughts?

Make sure your WiFi is not setup as a separate network (such as a guest setup) and that your network connection for the WiFi is set to the same as the rest of the connections (Home, Work or Public). What does the drive show up as on the network, if it has an IP can you ping that IP?

Aug 28, 2018

The wifi is on the same network. The WD drive shows up on the router and from the laptop I can ping that ip and get a response. If I bring up "my computer" on the laptop I see the MyBookLive device listed under storage, however when I click on it nothing happens. Interestingly. Right clicking on the device icon and selecting "Properties" I get all of the information about the device including mac address and ip. Clicking on the ip opens up the admin screen on the WD drive and I can sign in with with full admin rights. On the laptop I can open the device from a browser. But when I try to map a drive to a share on the WD device the laptop can't find it. Same issue on all WIndows laptops we use. Have a laptop running Centos and it works just fine wirelessly or wired. I've been a linux admin for a long time, it's just Windows that baffles me.