WD MyPassport Wireless 2TB getting 17 MB/s Writing & Reading Speed on Wired Connection?

mrelliot008

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Hello Guys,

Yesterday I received my WD MyPassport 2TB because I need an external HDD with huge capacity and Wireless Capabilities. So, I opened the box and everything looks fine. I plugged the HDD into my laptop and for the first 20 minutes it didn't show up on my laptop.
After that, I removed the USB and re-insert it, and it worked. But, to shop up on the screen, it took 5 minutes.
I thought maybe it's the first time so; it might take some time to have the first boot. But, it's a storage device so, something is wrong here.
Now, after opening it up I try to copy something and the file were small like 51 MB so, it took roughly 10 seconds.
But, After that, I transferred a folder of 16 GB, and it tools 30 minutes to copy it.
Bad Speed.
After that, I googled the tool Blackmagic Speed Test, and I downloaded the tool and ran it.
And the writing speed on the wire is 17MB/s
and on Wireless 500 KB/s

Is it something wrong with the device. Or is it any way I can fix it.

Note: Also it is continuously blinking it's reading light I don't know what's wrong with it.
One more thing I'm using a Mac and also I've checked my Mac for Viruses, Malware and any other errors using Norton, Malwarebytes.

mrelliot008

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm not doing anything. No, My MacBook Air 2011 it has USB 2.0.
Still the response time on Wireless mode is damn too slow. To Open up a folder it takes around 40-60 seconds to load up.

Hey there,

Sorry for the late reply and your struggles, @mrelliot008! You should definitely connect the WD My Passport Wireless using a different USB cable and another port on your Macbook Air. It would be great if you could find access to another Mac OS X computer compatible with the USB 3.0 connection to check the transfer rate speeds again.
You mentioned that you ran some malware scans, but I'd also suggest you test the drive for defects using the Disk Utility on your Mac.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

mrelliot008

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Man what's the point of buying a new product when the product you guys are providing is faulty. I returned the product back to amazon and got a new one. And with the new one the writing speed I'm getting is 14 MB/s and Reading is 22 MB/S.
Also on Wifi it's taking atleast 30-40 seconds to load the files.
What I've to do now. Please let me know. Thanks

mrelliot008

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Yes, I'm using USB 2.0 Macbook Air 2011 it contains 2 USB 2.0. Yes, the drives comes with a cable and I'm using it getting 18-21 MB/s writing and 20-24 MB/s Reading on cable.

I'm sorry to see you so disappointed with the WD My Passport Wireless. :( However, @Dragos Manea & @Saga Lout are right, you will need a USB 3.0 connection in order to get better transfer speeds. You can see that the external WD HDD comes with a USB 3.0 cable, but plugging it to a USB 2.0 still bottlenecks its performance.

I hope this was helpful. Best of luck!
SuperSoph_WD

mrelliot008

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

And what about the wireless speed. It take a lot of time to show up the content on the screen.