WD Passport drive not connecting to new laptop at all. Works on old laptop.

reiscarred

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Old laptop specs: Windows 7, absolutely terrible everything else
New laptop specs: Windows 10, i7 quad core, high end stuff

On my old laptop the thing plugs in shows up on My computer, Device manager, everything. And I can manage all the files just fine.

On the new laptop using the same cable in all 3 of the USB ports the drive receives power and starts spinning but wont show up in This-PC or Device Manager (including hidden devices) or Disk Management. It also can't be found using Add Device. I've tried rebooting. I tried unplugging it and replugging it in several dozen times and ONE time it actually registered and showed up in My Computer but I wasn't able to replicate that. Afterwards it showed up as a hidden "unplugged" device in Device Manager but it doesn't anymore since I uninstalled the WD SES drivers in hopes they would reinstall if I tried again (they didn't)

Edit: After some digging I found it in Device manager http://puu.sh/lmPI3/78bc90123a.png
Media is the drive in question

Please help, I can transfer 400 GB of files with a 2GB Dropbox :(

Hey there, reiscarred.

So the drive has no problems at all with your old system? I'd recommend that you backup your important files first (if possible) and run DLG (Data Lifeguard Diagnostics) so that you can test the drive (with the Quick and Extended tests), to see if anything unusual pops-up, just to be on the safe side. If it turns out that everything's OK, I'd recommend that you take a look at your USB controller's driver and update or re-install it, to see if that fixes the issue. I'd suggest that you try a different external drive, to see if the same thing happens again.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

TRENDING THREADS