WD Passport external HDD

Ducaysane

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
my passport 2tb external HDD, accidently falt down , and started clicking sometimes when I plugged into my laptop. I can see all my data, but I can't copy or open it. getting like "access denied " or bad sector.

is there anyone that can help me for any solution or any suggestion .

Solution

What you're seeing is probably the file table. The actual data is unavailable due to a mechanical failure. If the platters are intact, someone specialized in data recovery should be able to fix it (for a price), either by replacing the broken part or by taking out the platters and placing them in another HDD. But for that you need a 100% clean environment. Otherwise opening the HDD will make the platters unusable.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

As it's a mechanical hard drive and you dropped it, you've most likely if not definatley knackered it completly. Maybe if you take it to a shop they could recover some of the data if you're lucky.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

What you're seeing is probably the file table. The actual data is unavailable due to a mechanical failure. If the platters are intact, someone specialized in data recovery should be able to fix it (for a price), either by replacing the broken part or by taking out the platters and placing them in another HDD. But for that you need a 100% clean environment. Otherwise opening the HDD will make the platters unusable.

Solution

Ducaysane

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

thanks Zkye, I think that is the write answer. may be, I will try to fix it by buying a same hdd and replacing the damaged parts.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

This is a bad idea, probably even a terrible one; as Zyke mentioned HDD are fixed in very clean environments specifically for this reason. You'll just end up braking the one you bought and wasting money.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

Don't do that. You'll ruin both of them. Imagine a super clean lab where no dust can get in and some full-body suits and masks. That's what you need to safely open a HDD.

Ducaysane

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016

thanks for advice