[SOLVED] WD Red 8TB for normal PC use?

Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

I bought WD80EFEX hard disc. I know it is NAS drive, but can you use it for personal use? I have a SSD as boot drive and I would use HDD for masive storage because I need it to run 24h a day.

My question is should it work with i9 9900 and B365 motherboard?

Yes, review below for read/write durability. running 24hrs a day a NAS is recommended.

Jun 8, 2020
Yes, review below for read/write durability. running 24hrs a day a NAS is recommended.

Thanks for fast reply! How can I install it into my PC? Should I install it like any other HDD or do I need to change some settings in BIOS?

Assuming SATA PWR and SATA data cables are connected to a non-disabled port, it should be seen in the BIOS; if so, after bootup, go to WIndows admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt

There, the uninitialized drive with as of yet unallocated /unformatted space will need to be initialized, where it will be typically be quick formatted in NTFS format, GPT. Then it should show up in 'This PC'

Jun 8, 2020
Assuming SATA PWR and SATA data cables are connected to a non-disabled port, it should be seen in the BIOS; if so, after bootup, go to WIndows admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt

There, the uninitialized drive with as of yet unallocated /unformatted space will need to be initialized, where it will be typically be quick formatted in NTFS format, GPT. Then it should show up in 'This PC'

In BIOS my SATA controller is set to AHCI and like that I cannot see the disk in BIOS nor in disk managment. When i boot up, HDD just keeps beeping.

When I put SATA controller to RAID, SSD does not appear, but HDD does appear in BIOS, and when I try to install Windows 10 on my HDD, it does not appear as connected device