Question WD Red or Gold?

May 9, 2019
Trying to find reliable 3.5 drive, the more I research the more decisions. Less heat is always good, correct? Less vibration is also very good. Is there a WD that has both? And also reliable? I have two desktops, one has excellent cooling, the other not so much. Not so sure how to make more air flow, the case is very light aluminum, have to run with the side off. If I would get a Synology Raid case, and run it like a regular hard drive(s), is that do-able? Or practical? Never tried Nas Raid before.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
depending on the price I would get the golds for only one reason.
red has a MTBF of a million hours, the golds have 2.5 times the MTBF 2.5 million hours Mean Time Between Failures.
the MTBF is an indicator of the quality of the drives build.

I also have a side panel issue, 212 evo is a freaking tall cooler.
without the side panels you have basically a bench chassis, easy to get into and easy to work on.
a strategically placed fan and you can cool as well as a case. no panels let the heat rise as it tends to, being replaced by cooler air, a fan or two to halp nature and your good.

AtkinsFriendly

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Go with RED for basic RAIDs. Gold is usually needed for high performance raids so unless you need that, it's cheaper to stick with RED.

I use Reds for NVR systems where there is a constant slow write speed and only have had a couple drives go bad out of 60 or 70 of them.

TRENDING THREADS