WD Resumes HDD Production at Just One Factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Too late WD, I bought a 120GB OCZ Solid State Drive when my system drive failed and I'm not going back. My 2TB external drive from last year (2TB WD MyBook Essential purchased at a price of $69.99!) will be run into the ground before I buy another hard drive.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Maybe this is why hard drives are so expensive "these days". I swear, I ordered a Momentus XT 500GB for $100ish about a year ago, and now, I had to wait until I got a good "deal" on Cyber Monday to get a DESKTOP 500GB hard drive for $70 at HALF OFF. Last I saw, you could get a 1TB drive for $80 regularly.

Talk about inflation!

kimyeang88

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Too late WD, I bought a 120GB OCZ Solid State Drive when my system drive failed and I'm not going back. My 2TB external drive from last year (2TB WD MyBook Essential purchased at a price of $69.99!) will be run into the ground before I buy another hard drive.[/citation]

I'm waiting the HDD price to drop and i need 6TB because my x2 2TB are getting full. 1080P movies......

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I am glad to see that they got at-least one re-opened, certainly better than no production at all. Although this should be a lesson learned to not put all of one's eggs into one basket. Sure the labor may be cheaper there but their entire production was halted and with serious costly damages because of a single event.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I think I might wait to buy a new HD from WD... IDK, something tells me that quality may be an issue for the first few batches of drives coming from a formerly dunked factory. lol

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kimyeang88[/nom]I'm waiting the HDD price to drop and i need 6TB because my x2 2TB are getting full. 1080P movies......[/citation]

I would never usually recommend this, but buy now, it's only going to go up if this continues. Find a cyber week deal and just buy enough to hold you over for a year or so

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I think I might wait to buy a new HD from WD... IDK, something tells me that quality may be an issue for the first few batches of drives coming from a formerly dunked factory. lol[/citation]

And this is another good reason to buy now f you are going to need a hard drive soon. Buy before the newest batches start coming in.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]whooleo[/nom]This is why they should have some plants in the U.S.[/citation]
Right, because no natural disasters happen in the U.S.?

That point aside, prices of hard drives produced domestically would be even higher than they are right now.

G

[citation][nom]whooleo[/nom]This is why they should have some plants in the U.S.[/citation]
a) No place on Earth is safe from natural disasters.
b) Cheaper working force allows cheaper products. Minimum wage in USA is much much higher than in Thailand.

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Oh, I see. This explains why WD drives are twice as expensive. I was helping someone with a computer build the other day, and I was really shocked to see the price of hard drives.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]a) No place on Earth is safe from natural disasters.b) Cheaper working force allows cheaper products. Minimum wage in USA is much much higher than in Thailand.[/citation]

that said there are people in the us who prefer to buy made in the usa products even if they cost more

with electronics there likely won't be a huge difference, but i'd pay a good bti mroe to help support my own country's gdp... i am in the minority though so maybe you're right that it wouldn't make enough of a drop in the bucket

yay for recovery! I haven't been a fan of WD for a very long time, but if they get their prices back down first I have a server waiting for 4 2TB (or larger) drives. Whoever gets back down first will win my little bid.

[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]that said there are people in the us who prefer to buy made in the usa products even if they cost morewith electronics there likely won't be a huge difference, but i'd pay a good bti mroe to help support my own country's gdp... i am in the minority though so maybe you're right that it wouldn't make enough of a drop in the bucket[/citation]
And there are others of us who would rather pay someone who wants to work hard and improve themselves rather than paying someone's union dues for inferior products.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]And there are others of us who would rather pay someone who wants to work hard and improve themselves rather than paying someone's union dues for inferior products.[/citation]

who says its an inferior product... try finding a good quality tool not made by theUS, Germany, or Swiss ... its difficult. with tech products i admit there likely won't be much if any difference, but when it comes to buying anything made of steel made in the US still means something

some people think unions are good, without them we'd all still eb workign for penuts in dangerous workign conditions with no days off and no ovetime pay for it... what some unions have become is bad... btu not all unions are like that, and they have doen alot of good for us

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Do you know what our biggest export is today? Waste paper. Yes, trash is the number one thing that we ship out to the rest of the world as we voraciously blow our money on whatever the rest of the world wants to sell to us. The United States has become bloated and spoiled and our economy is now just a shadow of what it once was.
http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?info/facts

This is not a pissing contest or about "cheap probability". It's about sustainability, past time to see what's going on and where.

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
This sucks. I'm just now getting parts together to setup a media server and stupid hard drives are most likely going to be going up in price for the next few months....

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Right, because no natural disasters happen in the U.S.?That point aside, prices of hard drives produced domestically would be even higher than they are right now.[/citation]

This is why no one likes you and I am being serious, you seem to be the most disliked article writer on Tom's. I am not trying to anger you rather alert you of this but take it as you will.

Yes natural disasters can and do happen everywhere. It's not a matter of if but rather when. But putting every single factory in one general area is a poor idea. Just as what happened to WD their entire production of HD's halted because of a single event as well as incurred serious and costly damage. This can be avoided by simply spreading them out a reasonable distance.

While you are right if they made some in the US we could expect the normal price to make a small jump but it would not be at the prices we are currently facing at the moment due to them putting everything in one small area and getting hit by the flood. The very least they could have done is manufactured them elsewhere where labor costs are still generally low. This situation would have been much brighter for both WD and the consumers.

I really can't believe you are trying to make the claim that prices would be higher if they made at-least some in the US rather than having a complete long stop of production on a much demanded product. A product in high worldwide demand when it becomes short on supply will make a price jump much higher than simply picking where it is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.