WD Reveals New Home DLNA Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Our consumer research tells us that consumers need a simple way to set up a one-stop shop for their digital media
I'm sure their research didn't include readers of TH. We can easily stream data to anything we desire. I don't need a product like this when I have everything set up on one network.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]I'm sure their research didn't include readers of TH. We can easily stream data to anything we desire. I don't need a product like this when I have everything set up on one network.[/citation]

no it didn't include the tech savy.. but it is an intresting product for mainstrem, provided its easy enough to setup maybe they are hoping to sell to normal consumers who don't know how to set up a home network

coloradoleo76

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I'm tech savvy and I can't build something that's as small that has the same capabilities for the same price, so I'm interested. It fills a need that I have for media serving that doesn't take up a lot of space. I'd be happier if they built it as a bare box that I could load a drive into, though.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
A media server should be able to play any shared files from any machine on the network, not just it cute little built-in drive.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
For the price, its a pretty good deal. 1gig HD is about $70 - $80, so for $100 more you get a little network server build in. It is limited, but it is still a good price for what you are getting if you don't already have a server set up.

[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]For the price, its a pretty good deal. 1gig HD is about $70 - $80, so for $100 more you get a little network server build in. It is limited, but it is still a good price for what you are getting if you don't already have a server set up.[/citation]

Did you mean 1 tera? as 1 gig HD haven't been out in many many years and a 1 Gig flash drive is only $5 to $10. if that. ;)

[citation][nom]Splitsecond[/nom]Sure would be nice to know what flavor of HD is in it.[/citation]
Probably a Green. With a Green, they can get away with the same 12 volt 1.5 amp wallwart that powers the MyBook drives and the Media Player.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Nice little device. Shame it isn't expandable (raid 5/1 capabilities) and it'd be a drobo killer, which sadlt is what I seeem to be forced into buying at this rate because nothing else can compete with the drobo FS in its price rang unless you build a gank box for a fileserver, them you run into it being more expensive, or it consumes way more power.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]ColoradoLeo76[/nom]I'm tech savvy and I can't build something that's as small that has the same capabilities for the same price, so I'm interested. It fills a need that I have for media serving that doesn't take up a lot of space. I'd be happier if they built it as a bare box that I could load a drive into, though.[/citation]

In about a month and a half if you try real hard you can probably build something better for the same price. Black Friday Sales are only 45 days away!!!! Design your system now and buy the parts on sale.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I still haven't figured out why you would want a media serving drive instead of a network server. For that matter I haven't figured out why in a home environment you would want a dedicated server instead of just using one of your systems as the server. We have up to 6 systems running in our house. At most we are using 4 actively, but seldom have any problems with bandwidth or server access. Does anyone really use a home network in the way in which this type of device is designed? Does anyone really use a home network in the same way as a business network? Maybe some folks here do LAN gaming parties, but I can't even get three people together to play Civ IV on our network.

Status
Not open for further replies.